How High For A Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

What do people think is the max hight is for a hive I ask as I have been asked to provide a hive for the 10th floor roof terrace of the Lloyds building central London. I wont be looking after it but I think this may just be a bit high.

Just watched a program on Sky called Heliloggers and they encountered bees, wasps and hornet nests at 130 foot up.

Not definitive on whether they were honey bees or not though.

The simple answer is to try it. I cannot see that they wouldn't manage well enough and it would also be an interesting experiment.

PH

Providing Londons commerce with roof top bee hives? Sounds like a good niche idea to me. Can't remember how high Lancaster Hotel, Fortnm Masons and the Royal Festival Halls are, but they successfully keep hives on their roofs

Well if the Royal Lancaster Hotel has bees on the roof at I think 18 floors then all will be good. Although they do have the Royal parks for forage.

One thought is Lloyds are yet to pay and they are going to be hit with a rather big insurance claim over the next few days, months, years, decades.

Well if the Royal Lancaster Hotel has bees on the roof at I think 18 floors then all will be good. Although they do have the Royal parks for forage.

One thought is Lloyds are yet to pay and they are going to be hit with a rather big insurance claim over the next few days, months, years, decades.

it is the "names" that pay the claims, not the organisation

Just hope they are well 'managed' or I can see swarms bringing Oxford St to a standstill -lost revenue ....:svengo:

There were beehives on the roof of the Bank of England and Fortnum and Masons have hives on their roof (I think).

Back