Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Grub 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Daft question , but how fast do bees fly , as I was watching them last night coming home they were like bullets .:Angel_anim:
Also are queens slower than drones ?
Grub

darrenperrett 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think it`s about 15mph Grub.
I`m sure i`ve read it somewhere but i could be totally wrong.

Darren.

Cazza 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 ish
I just read (Tautz) they fly at 30 km/hr. He didn't say this was their top speed. Definitely faster than I can run.
Cazza

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
fly at 30 km/hr

That would mean they can forage directly up-wind at winds speeds slightly less than that (very much dependent on distance, puff, puff!)?

Foraging down-wind would mean a lesser limit for wind speed, of course! Or they may have to come back at low level, below the free-air flow or behind a hedge for example!

Foraging across wind should not be a problem (vectors and all that).

With that in mind, I am wondering what wind speed actually keeps them at home, given there was suitable sheltered forage available.

Regards, RAB

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
fly at 30 km/hr
Foraging down-wind would mean a lesser limit for wind speed, of course! Or they may have to come back at low level, below the free-air flow or behind a hedge for example!

With that in mind, I am wondering what wind speed actually keeps them at home, given there was suitable sheltered forage available.
I suspect you've answered your own question. I think on a windy day they will use whatever cover there is, so you'd have to measure the windspeed at the hive entrance and behind every hedge and bush.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
You would be surprised at what wind speed they can fly in. Angus Nicol on Shetland can tell a tale or two about that.... LOL

He has seen his dodging down the back of the dykes (stone walls) to Lerwick and working the fuchsia here. Beautiful near clear honey, clear enough to read a newspaper through in fact.

PH

johna 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
You would be surprised at what wind speed they can fly in. Angus Nicol on Shetland can tell a tale or two about that.... LOL

He has seen his dodging down the back of the dykes (stone walls) to Lerwick and working the fuchsia here. Beautiful near clear honey, clear enough to read a newspaper through in fact.

PH
Why would you want to read a newspaper thro' honey ?? bee-smillie :banghead:

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Why would you want to read a newspaper thro' honey ??
and why would you have a jar of honey in the toilet anyway?

Latest posts