How does the queen know not to lay in the test frame?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meidel

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
At the weekend we took out a frame of eggs to insert as a test for a colony but found that the queen had started to lay. Nevertheless we put the frame in. I'm now wondering if it was a mistake and would the queen know that there are eggs in that frame and avoid laying there or might we find two eggs in the cells next time we inspect?

At the weekend we took out a frame of eggs to insert as a test for a colony but found that the queen had started to lay. Nevertheless we put the frame in. I'm now wondering if it was a mistake and would the queen know that there are eggs in that frame and avoid laying there or might we find two eggs in the cells next time we inspect?

Does it matter?
Peeps add brood to a weak colony without any probs :)
The workers could eat eggs in the test frame but rest assured ,the Queen won't add an egg to an occupied cell !
VM

The queen inspects every cell before laying.

No worries

PH

A new queen can at first lay two eggs in a cell but this often sorts itself out in no time.

As above with PH when you get a chance to watch the queen on the comb and she is acting normal and not just heading towards the dark side of the frame you will see she sticks her head in each cell I dont know the science of this but basically she is checking the size and if it is ready to receive an egg.

A new queen can at first lay two eggs in a cell but this often sorts itself out in no time.

No, it does not. believe me. It does not. There is trouple in the queen if it does so.

There is nothing unclear in that issue. Everything is as well as can be.

Last edited:
Perhaps Finman but I have seen it and the queen go on to be great that is great for me a hobby beekeeper.

Also it does seem to crop up in conversation and on this forum from time to time so perhaps its a barking Brit thing.

You have seen it. Dave Cushman wrote that he had seen it. Michael Bush wrote that he has seen it. Finman says he hasn't seen it (yet :)).

new queens often lay multiple eggs, for a short time

As do very old ones. I, along with a number of beginnners saw a queen in her fourth season in May this year that had laid a handful of cells with multiple eggs. Rest of the frame was fine.

Despite the crap weather the hive was a delight to go through (but unfortunately not mine!)

Latest posts

Back