How does the cluster feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I should probably know this, but I'm a bit unclear- as I understand it, when the bees are clustered, they feed from the combs they are clustered on, then slowly work upwards consuming as they go. This presumably 'drills a hole' through the stores. The question is, when there is a mild spell and the cluster can break up, do they a) relocate the cluster onto a new area of stores, b) relocate some of the stores back into the area of the cluster, or c) a bit of both?

I should probably know this, but I'm a bit unclear- as I understand it, when the bees are clustered, they feed from the combs they are clustered on, then slowly work upwards consuming as they go. This presumably 'drills a hole' through the stores. The question is, when there is a mild spell and the cluster can break up, do they a) relocate the cluster onto a new area of stores, b) relocate some of the stores back into the area of the cluster, or c) a bit of both?

Not sure what you meant by "drilling a hole through the stores"!?!...

Attempt at answering your question: Yes some bees will leave the cluster on milder days to stretch their wings, defecate etc but I doubt that the cluster would break completely at this time of year. I presume that, when the bees that left the cluster decide to re-cluster, they simply return to the comb(s) where the queen (and the rest of the colony) is situated.

Ben P

If it is cold and food is finish between the gap of frames, those bees will die.
Even if it is a cluster, it is in different slices. During warm weather the cluster may rearrange itself again when they may move around the frame.

Last winter I met much hives where part of bees had died into their own gap.

They do not make holes through the comb.

Not sure what you meant by "drilling a hole through the stores"!?!...

Ben P

Meaning that they start with a broodbox filled with honey, then work vertically, consuming the stores as they go, ie leaving comb intact but a 'hole' through the honey reserves. Sorry, got a bit metaphorical there.

Meaning that they start with a broodbox filled with honey, then work vertically, consuming the stores as they go, ie leaving comb intact but a 'hole' through the honey reserves. Sorry, got a bit metaphorical there.

I get ya. Not going to slate your use of lang...

Ben P

Latest posts

Back