Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I should probably know this, but I'm a bit unclear- as I understand it, when the bees are clustered, they feed from the combs they are clustered on, then slowly work upwards consuming as they go. This presumably 'drills a hole' through the stores. The question is, when there is a mild spell and the cluster can break up, do they a) relocate the cluster onto a new area of stores, b) relocate some of the stores back into the area of the cluster, or c) a bit of both?

Vergilius 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6ish
I should probably know this, but I'm a bit unclear- as I understand it, when the bees are clustered, they feed from the combs they are clustered on, then slowly work upwards consuming as they go. This presumably 'drills a hole' through the stores. The question is, when there is a mild spell and the cluster can break up, do they a) relocate the cluster onto a new area of stores, b) relocate some of the stores back into the area of the cluster, or c) a bit of both?
Not sure what you meant by "drilling a hole through the stores"!?!...

Attempt at answering your question: Yes some bees will leave the cluster on milder days to stretch their wings, defecate etc but I doubt that the cluster would break completely at this time of year. I presume that, when the bees that left the cluster decide to re-cluster, they simply return to the comb(s) where the queen (and the rest of the colony) is situated.

Ben P

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
If it is cold and food is finish between the gap of frames, those bees will die.
Even if it is a cluster, it is in different slices. During warm weather the cluster may rearrange itself again when they may move around the frame.

Last winter I met much hives where part of bees had died into their own gap.

They do not make holes through the comb.

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Not sure what you meant by "drilling a hole through the stores"!?!...

Ben P
Meaning that they start with a broodbox filled with honey, then work vertically, consuming the stores as they go, ie leaving comb intact but a 'hole' through the honey reserves. Sorry, got a bit metaphorical there.

Vergilius 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6ish
Meaning that they start with a broodbox filled with honey, then work vertically, consuming the stores as they go, ie leaving comb intact but a 'hole' through the honey reserves. Sorry, got a bit metaphorical there.
I get ya. Not going to slate your use of lang...

Ben P

Latest posts