How do you scorch a Snelgrove board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchu

House Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Just bought a second hand Snelgrove board and paranoid about EFB as I am, I thought I’d scorch the board before using it.

However, I’ve never done this before and don’t have a blow torch. So I was looking on Amazon and was wondering if a professional kitchen cooking torch would do?

Also, any suggestion on how to scorch a board would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The small cooks torches don't really have enough spread of flame to do the job efficiently but one like this would do the job ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35335474...iseUnbiasedWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851
You can get them even cheaper without the auto igniter ...

But ...if it's just a snelgrove board you are trying to cleanse a good spray of Cillit Bang (concentrating on the corners and joints) will do the same job ... spray it on, leave it to dry ... it will kill just about anything it touches. To finish the clean - good scrub with a hot solution of washing soda will get rid of any propolis and leave it looking like new ...

The small cooks torches don't really have enough spread of flame to do the job efficiently but one like this would do the job ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35335474...iseUnbiasedWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851
You can get them even cheaper without the auto igniter ...

But ...if it's just a snelgrove board you are trying to cleanse a good spray of Cillit Bang (concentrating on the corners and joints) will do the same job ... spray it on, leave it to dry ... it will kill just about anything it touches. To finish the clean - good scrub with a hot solution of washing soda will get rid of any propolis and leave it looking like new ...
Many thanks! Which Cillit Bang: Power Spray Bleach & Hygiene, Black Mould Remover or any other?

Many thanks! Which Cillit Bang: Power Spray Bleach & Hygiene, Black Mould Remover or any other?
You need the bleach and hygiene one - although a strong solution of any bleach (Domestos etc) will do the job ... Cillit Bang is a fairly high % hypochlorite bleach and it's a convenient spray applicator ...

You need the bleach and hygiene one - although a strong solution of any bleach (Domestos etc) will do the job ... Cillit Bang is a fairly high % hypochlorite bleach and it's a convenient spray applicator ...
Thanks!
I’m aware that for AFB the recommendation is burn everything, but do you know if bleach would destroy any potential EFB or is this treatment only efficient against the other pathogens?

The black mould one will do as well - it's just a stronger hypochlorite mix

Would Cillit Bang be good for cleaning poly hives, or might the chemicals damage the poly?

Would Cillit Bang be good for cleaning poly hives, or might the chemicals damage the poly?
Yes ... it works very well - does no damage whatsoever. I usually give the box a good spray then leave it for a bit and then hose off with clean water but ... ITLD who has hundreds (perhaps more) poly hives just sprays them and leaves it to dry naturally ... end of.

Latest posts

Back