How do you make frames from scratch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why can we still buy 1/2 dozen eggs or buy a single chicken or a box with five cake in it or nuts and bolts in a single unit or 12 or 100, errrr when it suits the supplier to rip off customers and nothing to do with metric sizing if so why can I still buy BSF and UNC bolts, so nothing to do with packs of 10 as you could buy 11 single units if suppliers wanted

Why can we still buy 1/2 dozen eggs or buy a single chicken or a box with five cake in it or nuts and bolts in a single unit or 12 or 100, errrr when it suits the supplier to rip off customers and nothing to do with metric sizing if so why can I still buy BSF and UNC bolts, so nothing to do with packs of 10 as you could buy 11 single units if suppliers wanted

Quite agree - it would be much better if the frames were sold by the dozen - it's always handy to have a spare anyway (last comment was tongue in cheek you know:))

4 x 3 is still a popular packaging size - ergonomically more sensible than 5 x 2.

Regarding frames, you will need spares at some point, so package number is fairly irrelevant. It only appears inconvenient for the one-hive owners.

Also You can buy a complete hive with eleven frames so do you get 9 spare ? I don't think so. I wish sometimes I had a beekeeping shop and I would sell 10 frames with 1 free frame and see who would rather buy from me !!!. I wonder if it is illegal to sell hives with more than 10 metric unit frames.

I love this question, comes up several times each year, I must store this so I can cut and paste it next time.

First up Britain went metric at midnight 1969 in the last day of December, which had to be completed for 1974.all packaged goods are still sold in imperial weights the sellers just changed the labels why do you thing jam comes in 454gm jars its a pound in weight.

So any way making wood dust. so then, lets start with the basics, it is not worth you time or effort, ignore the people who say it costs me blah blah pence its a load of crock,

Start with the basics and add it up to make your very first frame. Will take you about a day to make up the six jigs needed to manufacture the side frames, add to the that the price of the tools to buy in to make it , a table saw and router are the absolute minimum and a band saw will help let alone a spindle moulder. Then factor in the tooling of a band saw blade and router tips and circular saw blade and still ignore the twit who says I have the tools any way as we are dealing with COLD HARD FIGURES only and then buy the timber and the first frame costs you about a grand, more if you have to factor in a shed to do it all, admittedly all other frames will cost less as its your time plus timber plus electric etc,

To set up from scratch to make frames is a finacial waste of time, I would prefer to use a European design hive and pop over to France every two years to buy your frames, the last load of frames I brought cost me £0.25 each from France 5 years ago with an order of one thousand, cheap as chips for three people.We had a brilliant weekend away with the familys and stopped off with the caravan at the suppliers to collect 34 poly hives flat packed and a lot of frames, should have seen the customs guys face when he asked to look in the caravan i was towing, quality, the money we saved from the other place in winsor paided for the weekend away twice

Its is cheaper for me to work a Saturday on over time and use that money to buy the frames instead of making them, by far the most cost effective way of doing it only a mug belives other wise.

Right now that we have managed to really nark off every single wood nibbler on the forum. Lets go the opposite way, away from all these pitched forks and hanging nooses, so we do have tools, a shed and enough fingers spare to afford to trim them back slightly making frames and we are sad and lonely enough to do so.

The bottom bars are just simple band saw work, the side frames if you want to be anal about it and the top bars too, can be cut to the standard pattern to match the others , you can of course just square cut the corners and use glue and a big screw to make frames!

Try looking for the hedgerow Vlad videos as he shows you every single part being made, does no one use the video channel any more?

The side bars, its just a simple top and bottom slot and then profile and then separate.
The top bars we normally deal with the side bar slots first and the ends, then move onto the two slits for the top bar.

Your main thing is when, yes I know some people just happen to have all the time in the world and a spare trees worth of decent grade joinery timber in the shed doing nothing and a lot of tools wanting to trim fingers etc , the main problem is wood, I can buy frames cheaper than I can buy decent timber to make them from, it don't grow on trees you know!!!!

I think I got that wrong again,another hedgerow classic

Any way the real trick I found is to make a single jig for each set cut or movement. So, I can get hold of loads of small timber, but unlike hedgerow Vlad I can not get pieces of 8 by 2. So my trick was to cut the timber down to individual frame piece sizes and then machine each one. Slow but do able.

So jig one was a single piece of MDF over the top of the band saw/table/router to which every thing was attached to , I made about six of these before I combined enough functions into just one set up, I must have spent well over a week or about 40 hours working on it at home and at work to produce all these jigs.

My idea was batched production when i was avalible to do it. As repetition produces speed. So the great plan was to turn a massive pile of scrap into a massive pile of sized pieces and saw dust, then the next time it was set up etc, we did the next part etc etc etc up to the bit when I had made loads of frames. About 500 if I remember rightly. Which by the way cost well over ten times the t******s rates when you add my time and money used it make them, any way the whole lot lasted half a summer before they became twisted and warped to some of the worst frames every (thats polite, think very very rude words to describe them) and in the winter I took the whole lot out and stripped the wax out and burnt the frames and the jigs, a complete waste of time and effort

and lastly did you realize that you can buy small moulded plastic parts that you can then use to make your own frames from standard swan timber profiles, thats a good option,

home making of frames is a very very fickle monster,
but i am sure some will now pipe up i made six million frame s last year at 1p each and they take me 45 seconds to machine and make, its horses for courses and dependant on your time and effort and skill base

Last edited:
The last two words say it all really.

I like your style HRP!

Just about covers all the scenarios.

There are some who actually like to play with their wood-working tools, for some a relaxing pastime (much like beekeeping, to most). Some people make model steam engines, others knit up woollies (I even knit socks sometimes - on one of my circular sock machines), others read books, sit/lay on sun-loungers; and a myriad other pursuits are followed by many.

So I have no problem with anyone who makes a few frames (but more than ten only!) or mass produces the things for the whole of the local beeks association and further afield.

Whatever floats your boat - and you obviously look at all the outgoings and prefer to spend a similar amount supporting a holiday abroad. Nothing wrong with that, either.

You summed it up very well with your last para., particularly 'horses for courses'.

You are right about timber choice. The russian, virtually knot free joinery versions being far better than reclaimed pallet wood - although some pallets are designed for a longer life than the most flimsy ones - but at a cost. Above all, you need to go into it with yours eyes open.

RAB

Also You can buy a complete hive with eleven frames so do you get 9 spare ? I don't think so. I wish sometimes I had a beekeeping shop and I would sell 10 frames with 1 free frame and see who would rather buy from me !!!. I wonder if it is illegal to sell hives with more than 10 metric unit frames.

And should they sell brood frames in packs of six for those who've bought a five frame nuc? - or five for those who've bought a six framer :D

Thank you all for your comment, personal experiences and ideas, I am just that type of person that when I sets my mine on doing something I have got to do it that's why I took up beekeeping not that it looked easy but because it looked hard, to master something gives you a sense of self achievement and satisfaction, I don't mind if the first 11 frames takes a month to make but I can say I have made them, obviously If they are not cost effective to make once I got the hang of it, I will pick some up in France this year when I go to Euro Disney.
HRP could you be so kind to give me the name of the supplier in France

You might then need to make hives for the French frames lol

Errrr don't the French have BS frames, That's not fair they have our fishing rights
lol

try swienty.
http://www.swienty.com/uk/home.asp
or Thomas
http://www.thomas-apiculture-shop.com

or lysons

or holtermans.
http://www.holtermann-shop.de/index.php/cPath/1

it all depends on quantities and where you go and what you want,

if like me you can drive for 12 hours non stop for a laugh with good company then shopping anywhere in Europe is dead easy or just pay the deliver costs

i used to go to France on the early morning ferry, then straight into Calais for croissants. lovely warm ones, thousands of lovely warm croissants covered in jam, sorry tripped out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any way Thomas is two hours away from Calais and lysons can be done in 6, ten if you go all the way to Poland.

the biggest batches i every brought was when i was working in Poland, we asked lysons to supply a British sized frame which at the time they did not carry as stock, we ordered three thousand and paid about £600 in 1994 i also went to Denmark and paid about £500 for 2,500 frames from someone who ran a timber yard we knew from work.

with wood the nearer you get to the source the cheaper they are, look toward the Scandinavian country's, Norway and Finland and Sweden, Russia, as well as Poland and Belarus etc, timber and labour is cheaper in some of these but not all country's

we would consider a long weekend to go to Europe for a big shop, say a grand in cash and a car and caravan or a plain old transit van if you want, we would buy frames and poly hives at around £50 a set we would then sell these for about £100 for a poly hive of base, brood, three supers,roof,feeder, cheap as chips we would also buy wax in at about £3 a kilo frames at about P each,
a German motorized extractor is about £260

selling prices were about

extractor £400, £140 profit
poly hives £120, £70 profit
frames seven for a fiver for 12 by 14 profit was about £3.50
wax a kilo on ebay £16 profit £13 thats better than selling smack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we reckoned we could get a family weekend away for free when we did a big shop and two weeks later get your grand back again.

the best trip ever was when a friend i used to work and drive with into europe maded a massive muck and sold by accident a 1,000 kilo order of wax sheets to a candle shop in london for £12 per kilo, i had none so we drove to poland to a beekeeper that used to make his own sheets at the time brough a ton off him at £5 a kilo drove back to london and dropped the sheets off on monday morning a round trip of 36 hours driving in total and a profit of £7,000 minus hire of van and overdraft etc about £2,800 in cold hard cash, three months later in the winter of 2007 the world markets dropped and the great recession started and all the london townies could not afford to make they hand wrapped candles any more so the market for wax bottomed out totaly

all of which was declared of course through the tax and vat man

any way back to frames, once you have the tools and the little jigs made up making them is just a simple case of pushing a piece of wood past a blade without chopping off a finger or three, the jigs will take the time to build and rebuild and rebuild until you get it right and from then on its quite easy to do. where i went wrong has to be very easily the timber i used, we have two sorts of pallet timber one is very very soft wood made from the toilet tissue tree, then second sort is the one ones made from some form of harder wood this is the ones i used, the reusing of soft woods from site was also tried, the problem with that is we don't get joinery grade just bog standard so i used to have waste well over 50% sometimes to find a foot long straight section.

now unlike me if you have available a cheap supply either shop brought or yard brought or skip supplied then your away and running as someone above mentioned we don't count our own time and to some nibbling wood is fun and a hobby then i would definitely go for it and do it

the biggest tip by far is when making you jigs and the base that they sit on , NEVER USE YOUR ADJUSTABLE FENCE GUIDE as it has to be reset every single time you wanted to use it, i covered the top of my bench saw with a sheet of 18MM mdf and had battons on the sides so it just sat there every time and the mdf had runners screwed and glued to it to make each guide slide on them, you have one base to make each type of frame or part,

Last edited:
I have been trying to make my own frames but am struggling to work out how to make the rectangles to join the top, bottom and side bar together

Latest posts

Back