How do you handling the Queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
I just ask because yesterday I needed to go to the club apiary and Peter the apiary manager asked me to help him find the queen to a swam he was uniting.
Peter, being of the old school, does not normally wear a veil or gloves when handling his bees as they are very gentle and as I had not come prepared I had to do the same. It was an education watching how he went thou the hive and I found myself feeling very connected to what the bees were doing, maybe just newbee talk for feeling exposed!! When he found the queen he picked it up by the wings in his finger and thumb and put it in a cage and then a bit more cautiously put two workers in there as well.

I can understand this might be the best option if the bees are a bit more 'lively' and I've seen all the gadgets in the catalogues, so how do other people do it?

Cheers.

Mike.

Last edited:
I take my glove off and use my fingers to catch her and then do what I need to with her.

PH

Peter, being of the old school, does not normally wear a veil or gloves when handling his bees as they are very gentle and as I had not come prepared I had to do the same..

Stupid propaganda...old school ..You use safe belt in the car even if you are not going to drive collision.

It is better to protect yourself. If some old fart plays hero, let it be.

Danderous situation is when you get one sting and the odor of poison alarms other bees.

Stupid propaganda...old school ..You use safe belt in the car even if you are not going to drive collision.

It is better to protect yourself. If some old fart plays hero, let it be.

Danderous situation is when you get one sting and the odor of poison alarms other bees.

Finman, I understand what you are saying and if it had been anywhere else I would have not done it. However Peter breeds very gently bees and I have been around when he has worked the bees and was happy to work them with him this time.

As for 'old fart'....well I'm happy to learn from any old fart and I think wise enough to know when to walk away.:seeya:

Mike.

Your mentor certainly knows his bees. I am happy to do as PH does - remove my glove and pick up a queen with bare hand - but workers :svengo:
Mike

Your mentor certainly knows his bees. I am happy to do as PH does - remove my glove and pick up a queen with bare hand - but workers :svengo:
Mike

Yes it was fascinating watching him tap on the back of the workers to clear them out of the way and see what was underneath.

Mike.

I've used queen catcher clips, they are good but you still need to get her with your fingers to clip and mark her. I think a rose of thorns is probably the best bet but i've not used one. Usually use my bare hand and fingers.
Regarding protective equipment - I always wear a veil as a sting in the eye is very painful and can lead to blindness. Other protective equipment as bees demand but rarely gloves unless the weather is bad or they are real cranky buggers.

Latest posts

Back