How do u guys all the scrapings at your bee yard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamant

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
When i go into a hive i do a little cleanup with the hive tool (bur comb, propalious etc..) i place it on my hive and endup forgetting it .a few guys say a tin can works well.. What do u guys use?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

i use an empty mushroom tub which sits ontop of a hive next to my spare smoker fuel that way I don't forget it.

I have buckets with water and washing soda crystals or bleach at each apiary. I wash the tool in the bucket and scrub it with a scouring pad between hives and I keep it in my hand at all times when I am looking at bees. I leave the hive tools at the apiary, so they are either in the bucket or in my hand.

I largely don't bother scraping stuff off active hives. More often than not they just put it back again so if its not actively causing problems why fight them?

I have a solar extractor where most bits and bobs of wax that I do remove from hives gets chucked but I'm far less concerned about the odd bit of propolis going on the floor or in the bushes.

I put wax scrapings into a lidded plastic tub. I then tip it into a larger plastic container in the shed, where it waits to get melted down.

Hive tool and gloves get washed in a bucket containing water and washing soda.

Latest posts

Back