How do Queens kill other Queens??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethbryson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Sorry if this seems to be the question of a real novice, BUT.

I was always led to believe that once a honey bee used its sting it was "good night Irene" for that said honey bee. So i was wondering how a virgin queen would kill another virgin queen in a hive?, or indeed kill another virgin queen that was still in a sealed queen cell??

Queens can sting as often as they wish,but only use there sting on other queens generally,the workers help sort out other queens still in cells by tearing out the side of the cell.

Bees only die if they lose the sting. This doesn't happen when they sting each other. I guess skin and flesh in mammals is much tougher to withdraw a barbed sting from.

Am i right in saying the queen sting is not barbed or am i being a plonker

looks like i am getting better at this beekeeping game lol. i think i will start calling myself a beekeeper soon.

I was told queens don't have barbed stings and will only sting other queens, but during the fight either or both could become damaged so it's best to avoid the situation if possible.....more pearls from my bee intro day lol :p

I'm glad Hivemaker confirmed this in his post as I've not seen it referred to anywhere.....that I remember anyway ;)

Latest posts

Back