How do I store/overwinter brood frames with stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
Hi All
Ive just united two hives, So I have got some spare frames with a lot of stores in them. I intend to give them back to the girls if required in the spring, or possibly use them to start a new colony in the spring. The main hive has a super and brood stuffed with supplies for the winter.Can you advise me how to store the spare frames?
Also I've been feeding the girls with HM's thymol mix, will I need to treat the hive with oxalic acid over the winter? Ive been keeping in touch with the comments on the forum so am aware of the pros and cons of this treatment!
Be gentle folks I'm new to beeking! Thanks for any advise I get

Bryan

I think you can freeze them but get a second opinion..!

I thought the honey when capped could last thousands of years and some was found in the pyramids, or is that a myth? Surely if kept in a cool, dry place it should be good for a year.

Maybe not.

Why are you storing uncapped honey?

I'd have left it in the hive.

I wouldn't want to spread disease to a potential new colony so wouldn't put back. I change my wax in every colony every Spring - Bailey Comb Exchange.

I am not sure if your frames have honey or sugar in either?

If it was me, I'd take the honey/sugar off, take the wax off the frames (to recycle at Stoneleigh/make a candle), boil the frames and store them, boil the honey/sugar with water (1:1) and feed back to bees (it keeps in the freezer in old plastic milk bottles) as a Spring feed.

Sorry, should have added that stored brood frame with wax in, unless put through the freezer will be ravaged by wax moths over the winter; you'll be left with a big mess.

Last edited:
Hi SB
The hive I united with is very active and has already got a lot of stores ready for winter. Its a national brood &half, they have cut right back on breeding and have been laying up stores. So there is no room for me to add , or swap frames. thus I will have to store the frames, even if some of the honey is uncapped.

Depending on how much is uncapped, I'd be tempted to take off the honey and bottle it.

The problem could be wax moth Kan - freezing is probably best if you have space.

Could you not extract it? then, if it's up to spec you can store it, if not give it back in a feeder (or store it then give it back in a feeder)

I think you can freeze them but get a second opinion..!

No one have so much freezers that it is aproper way to store frames. It is really expencive job.

And in summary, you are developing problems from nothing.

Uncapped honey will be spoiled after winter. Only way is to give it to bees.
Capped honey will be Ok in dry place. In most place moisture will go through the cappings.

In summer uncap the honey and put frames between brood franmes. Bees clean them and lift the honey to super.

But perhaps it is possible to extract the honey still.

Last edited:
birchdale

"I wouldn't want to spread disease to a potential new colony so wouldn't put back"

surely not a problem as the new colony consists of bees and frames from two colonies from which the excess frames of stores ALSO came.

how about....

why not temporarily put another brood box on and let them finish filling and capping the frames? then take them off to store and replace full super?

Latest posts

Back