How do i prepare honey for a show??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethbryson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had my first crop of honey this year and i want to enter the club honey show. i already have the correct jars and have it in the jar without any "foreign objects". there are a few bubbles sitting on the top of the honey so how do i get rid of that?. what else do i have to do with the jar/honey in preparation for presentation?

have a look on 'the national honey show' (put it into a search engine)
there are downloads regarding preparing honey and wax for showing.
(it's too long a subject to give a brief answer to)

ive been told the way to remove bubbles/scum is to over fill and then remove by dabing the back of a warm teaspoon onto the surface and the scum should stick.
you could try a syringe aswell but i think the teaspoon idea is easier.

to remove surface bubbles, use a piece of cling-film.
push said film fully onto the surface, then as you 'peel' it off, the bubbles come away with the clingfilm.
that's why you always over-fill show jars ;)

to remove surface bubbles, use a piece of cling-film.
push said film fully onto the surface, then as you 'peel' it off, the bubbles come away with the clingfilm.
that's why you always over-fill show jars ;)

As tony says - always tend to the overfill - if they can see any clear air between the neck and the lid its an auto-fail. Not so much that it continuously sticks to the lid though.

Aroma is important, two things to help are a) dont open it up the morning of the show, b) you can warm it slightly which might help, but dont overdo it as tell tale condensation blobs will appear on the inside of the lid.

Jars and lids should be clean and the lids bump free and twist on/off without stickiness.

If the schedule calls for two pots make sure both jars and lids are an exact match.

READ the schedule for any requirements (jar size/style etc).

Bubbles not as much as a worry as a scum, but both can be removed with cling film, or simply scooping out with a spoon (dont forget to top up if you take too much out).

Put it in the right category if there is more than one (I just fell foul to that, one identical to a batch that had won the "light" category last year was deemed too dark this year, very annoying as its a lovely honey.)

Back