How close to a hedge can you go?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Tel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Dear All,

Currently have all my hives are facing a tall hedge (2.5m +tall) and they are situtaed about 2metres from it. My question is can I go closer to the hedge and if so how close. Reason for asking is the wife has taken on a puppy and don't wish for him to be running in front of the hives. If I move them to within a meter or even closer I assume he'll be less likely to position himself in front of them but would that be to the detriment of the bees?
Cheers in advance
Chris

I have my bees on the same ground as my 3 chickens so what I did is put a green netting bout 1m high in front bout 2m away from entrance keeps them seperate and all well,,

Currently have all my hives are facing a tall hedge (2.5m +tall) and they are situtaed about 2metres from it. My question is can I go closer to the hedge and if so how close. Reason for asking is the wife has taken on a puppy and don't wish for him to be running in front of the hives. If I move them to within a meter or even closer I assume he'll be less likely to position himself in front of them

Another way of looking at it. A puppy is likely to stick his nose where it isn't a good idea, some breeds more than others perhaps but they all do. If you have a two metre gap, he can approach cautiously and pull back, hopefully without a sting but one or two will provide a natural lesson. If the gap is reduced, the puppy will still get into it but will be right up the hive before he sees what's there. If the bees do get close, there's less room for the puppy to back off and more chance of panic from puppy and bees. The sooner the puppy is used to bees and keeps his distance the better. The alternative is to fence the hives off completely and worry every time the, by now larger, dog looks as though it might get in and knock a hive over .

To put it simply, I'd leave the larger gap because both parties can see the other coming and react without feeling trapped or threatened.

My first dog very rapidly worked out that if the bees are flying the apiary was a no go.

If not then he could wonder as he pleased.

PH

Train the dog. Mine is sensible, regularly walking between the hives and minding her own business. Perhaps the bees have decided she is not threatening them as she has not been stung.

Never take mine into the apiary field. Mind they are both black and collies. Probably try and round the things up and send them back into the hive....bee-smillie

The bees will train the dog. My 2 follow me everywhere , except the bee hives. They keep 50 mtrs away at all times and will happily stay in the jeep while I inspect at an out apiary, any other time they will chase rabbits for hours but not there

The bees will train the dog.
:iagree:
My Border Collie got stung when he got too near the association teaching hives one day I was looking at them on my own.
This was before I got bees.
When I set up my own apiary he took one look at the boxes and kept well away.

bees and dogs

i have three springers they soon learn they investigate the noise like sniff get stung lesson over next time wont go near them dogs are dogs they learn from experiance dont move the hives the dog will learn same as with chickens will sit wth them in garden but when shooting know what to do with pheasants and pigeons

thanks to everyone for advice. Much appreciated! I'll keep the hives where they are and let's hope the pup learns.
That said he did get stung on Saturday and came home this evening to hear that he had his nose up against the entrance block !!! I thought springers were supposed to be clever

Spaniels clever . . . ? Try daft as brushes more like. Cute, but a bit clownish.

The dog will learn.
Though ours still hasnt.
He sometimes lays underneath the Hive (tis a small dog),
I'm sure he must have Varroa by now :)

Louise and her mummy went to the allotment yesterday to get some sprouts etc, they also took mummies doggy with them for a wee walk, Lilly (the dog) is normally as thick as well, you know the saying:) They had a quick look at the hives as well and were happy to see loads out foraging................Lilly came up to mummy, went to wander round to see what mummy and "big sister" were looking at, clocked the bees, turned round and walked away..............Quickly:) We reckon it was due to her having run wild for a few months in the Purbecks here before the RSPCA got her and she had had a run in with bees or wasps at some time.

another point -assuming that you've placed the hives facing the hedge to get the bees to fly up over it- the closer to the hedge they are the more likely they'll take the 'easiest' route away from the hive which will probably be out of the front door, around the side of the hive and then staight across your garden.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back