How close the hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezshim

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering how close can hives be put together.
I have a bench with two hives on, one from last year and one from a swarm collected tuesday, but I have gained another swarm that was originaly going to a friend with an empty hive, went to tip bees in his hive yesterday only to find some other bees had moved in that morning. So I am left with a rather large swarm in a 5 frame nuc. had to buy another hive for myself yesterday and looking to re home them later today, weather permitting. which means I will have 3 hives all within about 6 inches of each other. Will this be ok or do you suggest moving?

they will be ok you may get some drifting but nowt to worry about

Drifting is a minor problem but can be helped by putting different colours on the face of the hives where the bees enter so that the bees can more readily recognise their correct home.

Drifting is a minor problem but can be helped by putting different colours on the face of the hives where the bees enter so that the bees can more readily recognise their correct home.

Don't use red! Blue and yellow are good for bees to see.

And if possible, have the hive entrances facing in different directions. If turning a hive, try and split a 90° turn over a couple of days - or else use some hive moving tricks, like shutting them in for 24 hours and then covering the entrance with a leafy branch ... so the flyers get a cue to re-orientate themselves as to where home is and what it looks like.

I use pallets cut in half then stacked 3 high - this works well with two nationals and a gap in between. I bought a "cheap" double hive stand last year and that is a real pain, as there is less than 1/2" between the each roof and when there are several supers on the "closed" hive, it is very restrictive working on the open one.

Jc

remember if you do an AS you need room to put a hive one side and then the other and inspecting the middle one will have to be done from the rear so frame orientation in the brood box will have to be change to suit

ditto above, put the two outer ones facing outwards.

BUT you'll have to start thinking about next year when you need min 4ft per hive to allow for AS.

I which means I will have 3 hives all within about 6 inches of each other. Will this be ok or do you suggest moving?

I have scattered system.
3 in line is ok but 4 makes difficulties in drifting.

At least I keep a distance that I can nurse hives from eash side.
For example wind and sunlight are important. If my scent goes towards hive, bees get nervous.
My shadow on hove on not, they are too important if temp is low.

all within about 6 inches of each other

In that case, they cannot possibly be in a line? :)

One must be behind (or to the side) of the other two? So presumably the entrances are already in different directions (well, one of them at least?). :)

I would suggest moving, yes.

Everything is possible

ColorfulHives-i.jpg

Hi Finman – that’s some setup!!!
Does the lorry have 25 hives on the other side as well or only the hives that we can see?

Hi Finman – that’s some setup!!!
Does the lorry have 25 hives on the other side as well or only the hives that we can see?

It is not my lorry. They are nursed in the middle of cabin. I wonder if there are space to boath sides hives.

The one in jeans is an elf.
I'm surprised you didn't spot that, Finman :biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back