How capped is capped?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italic63

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi everyone.
Does each frame in a super need to be 100% capped before I harvest?
I don't have drying equipment although it's very warm and dry weather where I am. I only have one hive and one of the two supers looks ready but out of 9 frames only 5 are 100% capped on both sides and the others less so varying from 20% to 80% capped
Thanks in advance for your advice.

no - if over 50% is capped, there's a good chance it's ripe, just do the shake test - remove a frame, hold it by the lugs over the other frames with the top bar facing down and give it a few short sharp jerks - if no honey (or just the odd drop) lands on the top bars of the other frames, it's ripe

no - if over 50% is capped, there's a good chance it's ripe, just do the shake test - remove a frame, hold it by the lugs over the other frames with the top bar facing down and give it a few short sharp jerks - if no hiney (or just the odd drop) lands on the top bars of the other frames, it's ripe
Excellent suggestion. I was planning to harvest on Saturday. I'll definitely try that!

Yes I have one of those but don't know how to calibrate it. I tested some honey I had at home and it tested 16.8% so I guess it's calibrated 🤷🏻

Yes I have one of those but don't know how to calibrate it. I tested some honey I had at home and it tested 16.8% so I guess it's calibrated 🤷🏻
it should be pre calibrated - all you need to do is test it occasionally using something of a known w/c Olive oil is usually recommended

Hi everyone.
Does each frame in a super need to be 100% capped before I harvest?
I don't have drying equipment although it's very warm and dry weather where I am. I only have one hive and one of the two supers looks ready but out of 9 frames only 5 are 100% capped on both sides and the others less so varying from 20% to 80% capped
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Ebay, buy a refractomer, cost you circa £20 set it up with Virgin olive oil, quick and easy and then test, i have extracted honey with less than 10% capped that was 17% it is the only sure test.

I measured the honey before extracting...uncapped measured between 22 and 24% so i left it in the hive. Capped was fine.

Latest posts

Back