How calm is calm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putnamsmif

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have only experienced bees from my two hives, and a friend's 4 hives - one of which became my first hive.

Both of my hives seem - to me with little experience - quite calm. When I carry out my hive inspections there are bees flying about, but I don't get any bees landing on me, and only the odd bee buzzes my visor for a few seconds but then usually goes away. As soon as I step back from the hives, even a couple of yards, they act as if I'm not there. Common sense tells me that's pretty calm, but I'm planning on taking my partner - full suited up of course - to see them this weekend. Could they react differently with two of us there?

With most animals if you are calm they will generally be calm too, there are always some exceptions to every rule. If your partner has full confidence in their protective suit ( and under layer) then your partner will be happy and will also enjoy the experience more. Aim to inspect when the bees are busy, avoid wearing much scent and make a plan for their options if they feel overwhelmed ( ie walk slowly away and maybe go under some low branches) i remember being very daunted on my first experience being surrounded by hundreds of bees. It can be a joy to share the experience.

I don't think bees really care whether there is one beekeeper around or a dozen. Their behaviour varies much more noticeably depending on the weather, whether there are robbers around, etc.

I don't think bees really care whether there is one beekeeper around or a dozen. Their behaviour varies much more noticeably depending on the weather, whether there are robbers around, etc.

and when queenles and a whole variety of situations that upset them. No telling what or when but if they are always calm you are very lucky.

Just advise her not to wear any perfume, hairspray or similar; the scent from these can sometimes upset them.

Calm is:
- letting you mow and strim around and under hives without attacking you - or even exiting the hive
-being able to walk unprotected round your hives at any time and not get attacked, pinged or stung.
-not having a stream of bees exit the hive when you open it up.
- being able to pick up a frame of bees bare handed , with no veil or any protective clothing and show to visitors who are equally unprotected. And not be stung or attacked.

Calm is:
- letting you mow and strim around and under hives without attacking you - or even exiting the hive
-being able to walk unprotected round your hives at any time and not get attacked, pinged or stung.
-not having a stream of bees exit the hive when you open it up.
- being able to pick up a frame of bees bare handed , with no veil or any protective clothing and show to visitors who are equally unprotected. And not be stung or attacked.

Are there many bees that calm? I think I'll wait 'til I'm a bit more experienced before I approach without any protective clothing!

Thank you everyone.

I often visit my bees and open up the hive for feeding etc with just a T-shirt for upper body coverage.
They don't tend to like it if you a walking toward or standing in the way of their entrance. Best to stay off to one side. Stay calm. No strong scents. I often have a plant mister with water and a few drops of peppermint oil which tends to calm them if they are getting a little fractious. Don't go when it is very hot out. If you smell bananas... leave calmly but promptly.

Are there many bees that calm? I think I'll wait 'til I'm a bit more experienced before I approach without any protective clothing!

Thank you everyone.

even the calmest bees can have an off day... so its best to suit up...
most days the bees are spookily quiet... but one hive is going through a supercedure... and is strongly commuincating that they want to be left alone until they have sorted it out or not.
the thing that does upset them a little is the breaking of the propolis seal.
we count to between 5 and 10 after breaking the seal before opening up.

Last edited:

Thank you everyone.

Mine are - in normal weather. I'd not try it in thunder, wet or cold - not that I would cut grass or try to inspect under those conditions...

I still wear a jacket and veil for inspections though - for safety's sake.

Getting back to the OP's plans...

If you're taking anyone to visit the bees you can never be sure how they'll feel soI think it's good to tell them a few things first, so that they know what to do if things go badly.

- If you feel a bit spooked, the best thing to do is to keep your hands still and walk away slowly through trees.
- Bee stings are very painful! If you get stung, you should try to remove the stinger as calmly as possible and blow smoke on the affected area.

Both my hives are calm (thankfully). I'm feeding the least calm hive at the moment and have only been wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and a hat when topping up the feeder. Whilst there I sometimes lift the crownboard to get a feeling as to how they're getting on. Most of the time they are happy with it, but every now and then a guard bee comes over to tell me when it's time to go :)

Don't under estimate how a person who has never seen an opened hive at such close quarters may react. I tell any visitor that bees will fly around and perhap settle on them and if they want to run away then they should not run or freak out(!) but just try to walk away calmly. Also those not used to suits (and those that are) can get very hot which combined with a new experience can make people feel unwell. Take water!

Don't under estimate how a person who has never seen an opened hive at such close quarters may react.

Yep!!
I have nephews visiting. Both keen to see us beekeeping.
I took them down when I was taking off a super. Few bees in cleared box, OK with bees in the air so so problem there :)
Lifted clearer board to shake gazillions of bees down and littlest nephew dropped to the ground like a stone :(

I would describe my bees as very calm, no pinging, no rushing out of the hive when opened up, and I inspect bare handed - but a friend who had been talking about keeping bees came to have a look while I was inspecting - she had my 'visitors' suit on. As soon as I opened the hive, and she saw so many bees I could immediately sense her apprehension - so I started my inspection, (talking to the bees as I normally do :) ) still absoutely calm, and although she relaxed a little, she did not want to tke any part in it - and has dismissed any idea of having bees - or even inspecting with me again.
Looking on the bright side, saved her a lot of money getting involved in a course, but shows that even someone thinking of taking up the hobby can change their minds once they have seen a hive 'for real'

Latest posts

Back