Housekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMAE

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In a moment of madness, I ran hot water through my honey filter after extracting...don't ask.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the wax off it now. Many thanks all....

AMAE:redface:

Immerse it in boiling water until all the wax melts off and floats to the surface. Then leave the wax to cool and solidify before scraping it off the surface of the water. Then reclaim filter?

Immerse it in boiling water until all the wax melts off and floats to the surface. Then leave the wax to cool and solidify before scraping it off the surface of the water. Then reclaim filter?

the above will work. Ideally, fill a washing up bowl with boiling hot washing up water. Submerse it and stir it around a bit with a wooden spoon or something to really make sure it's all submerged and worked around so the wax can float up. Then you have to keep it submerged until the wax solidifies, either weigh it down, or add cold water.

Adam

Thanks...I'll give it a go. Amazing how far a little melted wax goes!:cheers2:

try hot water and add washing soda or caustic soda it should
turn the wax in to a soap which can be washed away in hot water.

As above washing soda
Caustic soda(Sodium hydroxide) can be a little to strong and not the sort of stuff to splash about,many beekeepers call it Lye.

What you are after is called washing soda or washing crystals.

You can get 1kg bottles or bags from pound shops,on the back it should say ingredients: (Sodium carbonate)

try hot water and add washing soda or caustic soda it should
turn the wax in to a soap which can be washed away in hot water.

Only washing soda....never caustic soda.

Plumber...have you ever made soap using caustic? It is a heady exothermic reaction that gives off fumes. Also lye burns. Made in the kitchen it requires vacating the room for a few minutes til the air clears. Amazing soaps though. Did I mention the hand and eye protection?

Ahh, caustic soda. Disssolves all sorts of things at around 5-6 hundred degrees Celsius (molten, of course). Much hubble, bubble and hiss when the still hot mixture was dumped in water. But a simple means to an end - dissolved, otherwise insoluble material, in aqueous solution. So works well on a little wax. However, washing soda will do the same job with much less danger, just a few seconds longer to get the same job done.

Go the safer route.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back