Hot Wax Sealing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats wrong with silicone?

I've read of dipping feeders into tanks of molten wax. That might be a bit ambitious - you could try melting and using a small brush. Preheat the feeder to about 80C.

Reactions: BBC
Thanks both. Silicone it is 🖖🏼
Hi, one word of warning. Silicone sealer sold for making aquariums should be fine BUT most silicone sealer sold for use in the home contains fungicide so it can be used in steamy bathrooms etc. DON’T use that! Go for the fungicide free or you might have real problems down the line. Good question though - something I’ve thought of doing (wax sealing that is). Never even thought of using silicone - I will now though 🤗🤗🤗

Have some little wooden boxes that I use as frame feeders in mating nucs, so half size National frames. I put these in my solar wax melter with some wax shavings. Waited for wax to melt and rolled it around.
You'd need a big wax melter for a 460 x 460 feeder tho'.
. . . . Ben

Silicone uses an acetone solvent by the smell of it during curing. Given that supers are routinely vaped with acetone to supress nosema I don't think they are affected by it at all and are onto wet acetone treated frames as soon as they get them.

.... Given that supers are routinely vaped with acetone to supress nosema I don't think they are affected by it at all and are onto wet acetone treated frames as soon as they get them.
That's something I've never heard of - or read about. Where have you seen that idea ?

Hi, one word of warning. Silicone sealer sold for making aquariums should be fine BUT most silicone sealer sold for use in the home contains fungicide so it can be used in steamy bathrooms etc. DON’T use that! Go for the fungicide free or you might have real problems down the line. Good question though - something I’ve thought of doing (wax sealing that is). Never even thought of using silicone - I will now though 🤗🤗🤗
Too late, I’ve done it now and hoping the acetate aids in some way or another.
Lesson;
Instincts trust, you must!

Acetoxy cure silicones derive their name from their release of acetic acid

Neutral cure silicones are unique in that some release a substance known as methyl ethyl ketoxime while curing, and others release acetone

Reactions: BBC

Latest posts

Back