Hot Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not according to this guy...?
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think you are a beginner?
The best advice comes from beekeepers who have actually done these things not from those finding stuff in YouTube and passing it on as sound advice.
I understand that you were merely posting a link but with your inexperience you can’t judge whether it’s a useful addition to the thread and you are muddying the waters

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think you are a beginner?
The best advice comes from beekeepers who have actually done these things not from those finding stuff in YouTube and passing it on as sound advice.
I understand that you were merely posting a link but with your inexperience you can’t judge whether it’s a useful addition to the thread and you are muddying the waters

Yep, complete beginner here. Merely trying to offer up ideas and help others as I’ve been helped on this forum.

I offer ideas tentatively due to my lack of experience....hopefully that comes across in the wording of my posts (which are usually posted as questions rather than statements).

I thought that particular video was likely to be from a reputable source as the name of the YouTube channel implies it was published by a BKA....

Yep, complete beginner here. Merely trying to offer up ideas and help others as I’ve been helped on this forum.

I offer ideas tentatively due to my lack of experience....hopefully that comes across in the wording of my posts (which are usually posted as questions rather than statements).

I thought that particular video was likely to be from a reputable source as the name of the YouTube channel implies it was published by a BKA....
There is some good stuff on YouTube
Once you get a couple of seasons under your belt you will know which ones these are. I'm not being patronising. Just realistic.
The fact that a BKA produced this means nothing. Why do you think there are so many local BKA refugees here? ;)

There is some good stuff on YouTube
Once you get a couple of seasons under your belt you will know which ones these are. I'm not being patronising. Just realistic.
The fact that a BKA produced this means nothing. Why do you think there are so many local BKA refugees here? ;)

Yeah it’s hard to know who to listen to sometimes....I (naively?) thought BKA advice should be ok...

I’ve been told that you can do Demarree even when you have swarm cells on a few occasions....I really like the videos by Black Mountain Honey (I think his advice is generally pretty sound?). No need to watch the whole thing...just go about 45 seconds in and he says he uses Demarree all the time when he sees swarm cells

Yeah it’s hard to know who to listen to sometimes....I (naively?) thought BKA advice should be ok...

I’ve been told that you can do Demarree even when you have swarm cells on a few occasions....I really like the videos by Black Mountain Honey (I think his advice is generally pretty sound?). No need to watch the whole thing...just go about 45 seconds in and he says he uses Demarree all the time when he sees swarm cells

A Demaree is a vertical split
Lawrence does a vertical split but not a Demaree. They work in different ways.
BMH was a beginner on this forum as I recall. And look at the Empire he has built on the knowledge everybody so freely shared. 😁

A Demaree is a vertical split
Lawrence does a vertical split but not a Demaree. They work in different ways.

What’s the difference? Could the OP use the method that Lawrence shows in the video and says he often uses when he finds swarm cells...?

Just thinking it might allow him to keep his existing number of colonies as he doesn’t want any more...

Last edited:
What’s the difference? Could the OP use the method that Lawrence shows in the video and says he often uses when he finds swarm cells...?

Just thinking it might allow him to keep his existing number of colonies as he doesn’t want any more...

A vertical split above the colony is swarm control once QC's are seen, one places the queen below on a frame of sealed brood/bees with no QC's and foundation/ drawn empty comb in a new clean BB. The old box on top with a new entrance/floor, foragers/flyers will orientate to the bottom box splitting the hive naturally leaving the young bees on top.

A demeree is carried out before QC's or swarming has started, one simply moves older larvae/sealed brood up stairs and gives the Q more laying space. With a prolific Q move frames up and down as needed in rolling fashion, no need to use any separating board as bees will migrate to the LBB.

The first is a reactive situation where one needs to act to stop a swarm leaving, the second a proactive move to prevent (hopefully) and notions of them starting the process early in the year during spring onwards.

Both add more work to inspections, but the first is more confusing for the bees with the hive dismantled with an Upr entrance and one needs to be wary of a new Q wanting to mate at some stage.

Later in the year one can decide on uniting once one Q has been removed, if that is the case then one might want to have a bit of mesh between upr & lwr colony so colony aroma is the same.

A vertical split above the colony is swarm control once QC's are seen, one places the queen below on a frame of sealed brood/bees with no QC's and foundation/ drawn empty comb in a new clean BB. The old box on top with a new entrance/floor, foragers/flyers will orientate to the bottom box splitting the hive naturally leaving the young bees on top.

Many thanks for such a detailed explanation, really appreciated. I think what Lawrence did in the video is akin to what you describe here (minus the top entrance).

Could the OP not do this in their situation?

Many thanks for such a detailed explanation, really appreciated. I think what Lawrence did in the video is akin to what you describe here (minus the top entrance).

Could the OP not do this in their situation?

Ones needs to know the Q status.

Back