Horses, birds and where to buy new equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyowen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Can someone please help with the below

I am keen to purchase a nuc of bees, hives and other equipment within the next month and did not manage to get any advice on a beginners course that I attended, except for one person who informed me to contact the British Honey company in Steeple Claydon who are close to where I live , but they just sell honey and queen bees.

Therefore, can someone please offer some advice on where to purchase new equipment? I really feel like I am on my own here at the moment.

Other questions:

If I have the hives between paddocks, would it be a problem with the horses ?

From the end of March for about six months, I have about two dozen swallows or more that nest in the stables. Would swallows being around be a big problem for honey bees ?

Google - Maisemore bees: - Paynes bees: - BS Honeybees:
Contact/join Bukinghamshire beekeepers association - there several districts, get someone to look over the area you intend the use and get a mentor.

Livestock and bees tends to be situationally specific but there can be issues. Animals will knock hives over so fence them off. Swallows - some bees will get eaten of course.

Perhaps not the best time to begin beekeeping.
Most associations have cancelled all training etc. A mentor (if you can find one) means you will need to stay 2m's away so you will be unable to see what's going on.
Take this opportunity of "confinement" to buy some books on the subject (on line of course) and read....I'd suggest you wait until a semblance of normality returns before starting on the practical side.

Last edited:
For some reason my bees do not like the horses in the field next to my hives..maybe it is because they stink..if they get too close when i am working with the hives they get stung and take of at a rate of knots across the field..as for swallows the farm nearby used to get a gathering of 50+ every season..i had zero success of getting Virgin Queens mated during that time..after the beast from the east the swallows failed to return and my Virgins getting mated went up to 80% success..so to me the Swallows do more damage than you think..

Ring thornes and maisemore and many others and ask for catalogues to be sent and then pick everything you need! Not a problem at all as they will deliver it to you.
E

I would also advise any new beek to pick up seconds as a far more economical way of starting out.

Latest posts

Back