Horseradish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Has anyone ever grown horsedradish? I bought a root from B&Q the other week, mainly because I love horseradish on my steak.

Yes,i also like horsradish,it grows a bit like dock leaves,loads of it growing wild around here.

I planted it. Slugs ate it a bit, but then it grew like a weed and i can't get rid of it. Used the young shoots a bit in salad, but the stuff I made from the root was not great.

If you do plant it and it goes berserk don't strim it without goggles on. I did and got some juice in one eye - I've never experienced such pain before or since:svengo:
Regards Mike

If you do plant it and it goes berserk don't strim it without goggles on. I did and got some juice in one eye - I've never experienced such pain before or since:svengo:
Regards Mike

Thanks for the top tips. I have quite a bit of waste land spare, so will plant it there, not minding if it spreads.

If I plant it now (spring) will it be ready for havesting Autum? Leaving some in the ground for next year.

My vote for a good mustard or horseradish is when you eat it and "heat" from it shoots up and out your eyes from the inside and also down your nose:cheers2:

We have loads of the stuff, growing wild at the top of my garden! When we moved in, we borrowed a rotivator, and made it worse.
Not that I mind it. Never used it for culinary or otherthings, its wasted really. Maybe Jim will post some recipes for us?

I tried to make wasabi with it, but it was foul.

Did you add mustard seed to it then?

I had a Wasabi relish in a London Japanese resturant once and it was fantastic.

there are several ways to grow horseradish, but ive had most success with a large deep tub. i too rotavated it into my previous allotment, note "previous" allotment;) it is a terrible weed and can go on for season after season.

for eating, it is delicious creamed with a little vinegar then mixed with double cream, soured cream or creme fraiche.

its very interesting grated into a coleslaw or mixed into any salad sparingly.

Dont mention WASABI to me :puke::puke::puke:

A few years ago at a buffet, I piled my plate high (like you do with a buffet) with nachos and dips, and what I thought was guacamole (spelling).

I picked up a nacho and a big scoop of green guacamole and proceded to eat................I thought I was going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It turns out is was WASBI:toetap05:

Dont mention WASABI to me :puke::puke::puke:

A few years ago at a buffet, I piled my plate high (like you do with a buffet) with nachos and dips, and what I thought was guacamole (spelling).

I picked up a nacho and a big scoop of green guacamole and proceded to eat................I thought I was going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It turns out is was WASBI:toetap05:

lol, in Phoenix a year ago, visiting my brother's family, we were on the road around Tuba City where I bought some wasabi peas. An innocuous looking snack, but lethal! On our return I offered my brother?s kids some "Here, would you like some of these?" I asked, their little faces lit up and they rushed to my side, only to politely refuse when they saw what was on offer, they had obviously tried them before; so Uncle Pete?s cruel joke never got played <grin>

Did you add mustard seed to it then?

I had a Wasabi relish in a London Japanese resturant once and it was fantastic.

I only had black mustard seed. It was unattractive and bitty.

Latest posts

Back