Hornets Nest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My parents have a wild colony of honeybees that live under the tiles in an outside corner of their very old house. There has always been a colony there each year of the 25 years my folks have been there, plus the lady who owned the house for 20 years before them also always had a colony in there.

Unfortunately some hornets have decided to build a nest less than 2 metres away from the bees recently. They are very active and there are quite a few of them flying in & out of the nest constantly - so far we haven't seen any of them going near the bees, but worry that it is only a matter of time before they do.

Last summer they had a hornets nest in one of their bird boxes, and we used to see them picking off the poor honeybees on flowers nearby. I know hornets are protected, but we are really worried about what they might do to the wild colony, and also my own first colony that is situated in my hive about 100 metres away in a field.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions please?

We had a hornet's nest in the attic space of our house and we witnessed them predating honeybees from the landing board of our hive.

The man from pest control at the Council had no qualms about destroying the nest (for £45). I think if the nest is in the structure of the house, you can have them destroyed no problem.

You can destroy them anywhere,they are not protected in the uk.

hornets are not protected but are rarer than wasps i have only had 1 hornet job this year compared to 3-5 wasp jobs a day.
if possible i leave them be but in the wrong place then just get a pestie in to sort them.

trapper man Hornet season is still to come, be patient!!! down here they usually kick off in late august.

HONEY hornets as everone else has said are most definately not protected, it is just a case the same a wasps that if they are not causing you a problem then everything has a place in nature so should be left - HOWEVER if there is the risk to the bees then NUKE THEM!! Any professional pestie should be able to deal with it and use things that are not of danger to Bees. But make sure he realises the risk to the bees before treatment, Check if he has full insurance not just cover from a sporting agency. This should help you tell how experienced he is as it doesnt come cheep and is only given out generally to people with experience.

trapper man Hornet season is still to come, be patient!!! down here they usually kick off in late august.

HONEY hornets as everone else has said are most definately not protected, it is just a case the same a wasps that if they are not causing you a problem then everything has a place in nature so should be left - HOWEVER if there is the risk to the bees then NUKE THEM!! Any professional pestie should be able to deal with it and use things that are not of danger to Bees. But make sure he realises the risk to the bees before treatment, Check if he has full insurance not just cover from a sporting agency. This should help you tell how experienced he is as it doesnt come cheep and is only given out generally to people with experience.

I'd just get rid. Why risk such an old colony for these pests......am I biased? lol

We've had hornets appearing in wasp traps in Devon for the last week, probably 20+ so far - didn't even realise that we had hornets around!

as a professional pest controller i am not aware of any product that can deal with wasps/hornets and be safe for bees.
if they are that close to the bees entrance though it would be best if possible to treat the nest directly from the inside to aviod contaminating the bees entrance.

Back