hornet trap supplied by Fera

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.
My fingers are crossed that it remains empty for years.
Cazza

What's the bait? Do you know? Is it something specific for the hornet? If it's just a generic wasp bait then I'm not sure it's a clever idea to use a low efficiency trap - might cause you more problems with other wasps.

"No you haven't. You have a device that traps and kills hornets."

No he hasn't. Their traps are designed to keep the hornets alive, so they can be studied.

What's the bait? Do you know? Is it something specific for the hornet? If it's just a generic wasp bait then I'm not sure it's a clever idea to use a low efficiency trap - might cause you more problems with other wasps.

made by 'agrisense' 'liquid wasp attractant' got 2 x 1ltr bottles supplied. the trap looks high efficiency, small entrance at bottom, large clear dome, with a net over the liquid to stop insects from drowning and being no use for identification purposes.

I am a FERA sentinel as I have my bees on the perimeter of an airport so have been sent one. The trap is a cone trap by Agrisense modified so that the hole in the cone is smaller so it won't let in the larger european hornet and with a mesh inside so that they don't drown in the liquid wasp attractant (also by Agrisense). There are small holes drilled into the side presumably for air. It will, of course, also trap bog standard wasps but we are advised to let them out !

the small holes are to let small insects out, according to the paperwork

can anyone get one or do you have to be one of Fera's chosen ones? :)

I am a FERA sentinel as I have my bees on the perimeter of an airport so have been sent one. The trap is a cone trap by Agrisense modified so that the hole in the cone is smaller so it won't let in the larger european hornet and with a mesh inside so that they don't drown in the liquid wasp attractant (also by Agrisense). There are small holes drilled into the side presumably for air. It will, of course, also trap bog standard wasps but we are advised to let them out !

Any indication as to whether this system has been tried and tested? I just get the impression that the design doesn't fully appreciate hornet behaviour and that false negative results might give a false sense of security. Is this system being used successfully in France where the problem has been reported (or any where else for that matter)?

Karol,

I am intrigued - how can it give a 'false negative' result?

...and yes, hornet traps are being used in France with good results. You can read more about this on Beebase as well as in recent issues of Bee Craft magazine.

Meg

I assume the meaning is that if the traps aren't well designed they will not catch the hornets. This will lead to the belief that they aren't in the area, giving a false negative result.

Karol,

...and yes, hornet traps are being used in France with good results. You can read more about this on Beebase as well as in recent issues of Bee Craft magazine.

Meg

If there is an empty trap then there are two possible conclusions. Either there are no hornets or the traps aren't catching them the latter being the 'false negative'.

And thanks for the feed back. Out of interest are the traps the same as those being used in France do you know? I haven't seen the relevant articles and am interested.

Latest posts

Back