Hornet trap success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
The Hornet trap I described in thread

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4292&page=3

has just been checked and I have caught 4 queen asian hornets:hurray: What was a surprise was that they were no where near the bees, they were caught in the traps set near the house - Queens looking for nest sites? Not a very good picture as they have been pickling in the trap for ?? days/weeks!!

This is the first year that I have put traps out in the spring, usually they were only used when the hornets/wasps started attacking the hives.

My 4 kills + 2 my apprentice has caught = 6 less nests and MANY THOUSANDS less hornets in Augustbee-smillie

They will be going out every Spring from now on.

Spotted a Queen Wasp yesterday. Had great successes with MJBees trap last summer so I thought I'd give it a go for the spring! I find 4 pint milk containers work well and hang easily from trees.

Thanks MJBee

This is the first year that I have put traps out in the spring,
I feel a rake through the recycling bins is needed. How vital is it to renew the contents weekly?

Its not, but a successful trap will fill up quickly, and the enticing odours will obviously change over time (perhaps more enticing!):drool5:

:iagree: My mixture begins to ferment after a while and goes from attractive to very attractive and finally becomes disgusting and has to be changed:puke:

:confused:
Why do you think they don't look like Asian hornet queens, Midland Beek?

Well done MJ, the more you get the less chance they get to me!

mixture begins to ferment after a while and goes from attractive to very attractive and finally becomes disgusting

just like my Home brew, that's when I drink it

richard

This is the first year that I have put traps out in the spring, usually they were only used when the hornets/wasps started attacking the hives.

My 4 kills + 2 my apprentice has caught = 6 less nests and MANY THOUSANDS less hornets in Augustbee-smillie

They will be going out every Spring from now on.

HEY! I Thought I was your apprentice! :eek: Honestly - you fail to catch any Hornet Queens and you get your apprenticeship terminated...

HEY! I Thought I was your apprentice! :eek: Honestly - you fail to catch any Hornet Queens and you get your apprenticeship terminated...

Do you mean: "You're fired!"
:D

nikca - look at the date of the original post - it was before your apprenticeship began so you're not fired:) (yet);)

I have not seen any hornets or wasps so far this year just lots of bumbles. With a bit of luck the 14 days of sub zero temperatures we had at the beginning of February - lowest -15C - will have killed a few off. Wishfull thinking perhaps:banghead:

I'll get me veil...

The Hornet trap I described in thread

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4292&page=3

has just been checked and I have caught 4 queen asian hornets:hurray: What was a surprise was that they were no where near the bees, they were caught in the traps set near the house - Queens looking for nest sites? Not a very good picture as they have been pickling in the trap for ?? days/weeks!!

strawberry syrup?? like milkshake syrup, or fruit juice squash, or stuff you put on ice cream?

Latest posts

Back