Hope this little beastie doesn't reach our shores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only a matter of time John,..just another little pest that will need to be controlled.

Veg, i rekon they might make good bait for fishing,so they could at least be of some use.

I did an emergency action day with fera on the SHB the way they destroy a hive is gross.

Was the emergency action plan really good,like let it spread like varroa.

Nope it will be a restriction on movement along with testing hives in the area and kill and burn.

The actual beetle does no harm to the bees its the larvae that eat everything in site that cause the problem.

Last edited:
Nope it will be a restriction on movement along with kill and burn

Sounds about right........but by then its spread miles and miles.......so destruction of every hive in the country. Bit like the foot and mouth plan then.

And people wonder (or perhaps not!) what they are getting in cheap, blended, imported honey? I would be much more careful and buy British if I was aware of what could have been there and just filtered out.....

But it may not be long before this is more than just a threat to our colonies. The more I see, the less I like imported queens, even if they were all individually checked!!

I would think that 'the powers that be' are simply allowing imports like they are, hoping that it will avoid some idiot importing them illegally.

Regards, RAB

Wax moth are puppies comapared to the SHB larvae

Rab
They would also need to ban the import of all pot plants,vegitables,fruit ect from countrys that have SHB.......as this is the most likely way its going to arrive..not being given a piggy back on a queen or worker bee in a cage,which its not a parasite of like varroa. Is this even remotely likely to happen......not a hope in hell,ever.

Fera are of the same opinion as you and me that it is when we get them not if we get them. They also say importation on fruit or shipping containers will be the likely source.

Latest posts

Back