HONEY YIELDS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Out of interest, how many frames of honey would you expect to pull from a hive in a good year?

Out of interest, how many frames of honey would you expect to pull from a hive in a good year?
That depends on location competition and the queen. If you move locations up to 3 times anything up to 200lbs is possible. Some have had more I believe

Are you asking Finny in particular or anybody else?
There’s generally a “How much honey did you get? or a “ Look how much honey I got!” thread every year so look out for it 😉

I'll split these posts off

Last edited:
That depends on location competition and the queen. If you move locations up to 3 times anything up to 200lbs is possible. Some have had more I believe
I was also going to say equipment?
Drawn comb in supers instead of foundation.
I've seen 9+ supers above colonys which we're on osr, linseed, beans.
Ged marshal queen's.

Last edited:
They are fine for me and produce plenty of honey.
Interesting I have colonys in various locations all the same type of bee.
Some are on dB brood with 4 supers on.
Some are still single brood with three supers on no qxs on some.
My singles so far have produced one super and possibly another 2.
My doubles are just getting bigger which are getting extracted after this flow.

In 2018 I got just short of 1000lbs from 6 production hives here in Ceredigion without moving them. It will never happen again though.
The sun shone for weeks. The trees on the hills across the valley had been harvested the previous year and were a riot of Rosebay.

Last edited:
In 1918 I got just short of 1000lbs from 6 production hives here in Ceredigion without moving them. It will never happen again though.
The sun shone for weeks. The trees on the hills across the valley had been harvested the previous year and were a riot of Rosebay.
Jesus didn’t think you’re that old!

Why do you need to move them to get that? some will get that in a fixed apiary

Frames of honey - seems like an odd way to estimate/measure yield.

I have run both 9 and 10 frame boxes, the 9 frame boxes hold more honey not only per frame, but per box too.

So you will find most measure yield in weight.

I think a lot of people will be hesitant to throw out numbers as it can vary so much. And there are other factors too.

I have not kept bees for long, so am interested to see what some of the longer served guys say.

Please take these numbers with a pinch of salt, as they are based on my huge experience of last years harvest. But going on my very limited experience, I would hope for at between 2 and 7 supers from a good hive. So approximately 20 to 70 frames. But my I think my 7 super success last year may have been beginners luck, or they were robbing another of my hives. So I think maybe 3-4 supers is probably a more reasonable expectation on a good year. But in my book 2+ supers is a good hive.

Come on some of you longer served guys, try put some rough numbers out there for us noobs.

Last edited:
In 2018 I got just short of 1000lbs from 6 production hives here in Ceredigion without moving them. It will never happen again though.
We are having a terrible year. I have one full colony from last year but they are only just starting to draw comb in the first supe. The other two were overwintered Nuts. who still need to fill up the brood box. Let's hope the sunny weather improves matters.....

Frames of honey - seems like an odd way to estimate/measure yield.

Yes, I suppose so. I recently extracted 2 supers but didn't weigh it. Was approximately 20 litres. Not sure what the weight of honey is per litre/gallon?

Are you asking Finny in particular or anybody else?
There’s generally a “How much honey did you get? or a “ Look how much honey I got!” thread every year so look out for it 😉

Guess I was just throwing it out there. I recently extracted 2 supers (one from each hive) with another super half full on each hive and was wondering if that's good, i.e. is mine bigger than yours :D

This year is a poor year in my area, with no osr due to high flea-beetle losses last year. Nevertheless, my colonies have filled 5 Langstroth deeps. In a 2017, they filled 6. Each deep can weigh 30-35Kg but there'll be quite a bit in the bottom 2 boxes (brood area) too. The most I have seen is a little over 130Kg.

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_143958.jpg
    IMG_20210711_143958.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
I agree, The
You don’t fancy a few Brandstrup Buckies, then ?
I have buckys ;) FYI.
Not many but yes I do actually like them this will be there second winter!
Black bees are my love but when you get given a queen or two what can you do.
The nuc that beeker had was a f2/f3 cross and still lovely and gentle.

Last edited:
I was also going to say equipment?
Drawn comb in supers instead of foundation.
I've seen 9+ supers above colonys which we're on osr, linseed, beans.
Ged marshal queen's.
To maximise yeilds. Osr normal flows in area without much competition and heather. I wouldnt get that without moving them around because of competition from other beekeepers and my own hives. Well not if I didn't want to leave them without

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back