Honey vinegar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I bought an old cook book which requires honey vinegar - and have found that the 'recipe' for this is 1 part honey to 7 parts water...then left covered in muslin for 2 months, filter and bottle.

Does anyone have another recipe or even has anyone made it? Also, any other recipes for things I can sell at a Christmas Market in November rather than just honey, candles and polish...
Many thanks

Last edited:
This is a recipe I've used for Blackberry Honey Vinegar ...it works well with raspberry too :

Blackberry vinegar

Fantastic stuff for cold a flu symptoms including sore throats. Stores for ages and as you dilute 1 table spoon with hot water in a mug, lasts for ages too. Also good for salad dressings !!

600ml of white wine vinegar
450g sugar
450g blackberries
225g honey

In a big jar, add the vinegar and blackberries and leave to steep for at least a week, shaking daily. Strain through a jelly bag and bring to the boil, add the sugar and honey, remove from heat and stir till all dissolved. Bottle into a sterilised suitable bottle.

And for polish recipes I'd try to find the leaflet printed by Clara Furness ...it turns up on Amazon sometimes.

Judy

Wow - I just went onto Amazon to see if I could find her books (having drawn a blank on Ebay)...

I book on candles Amazon (2nd hand) £9.95 - Direct to 2nd hand supplier £5

1 book Honey Wines and Beers on Amazon (2nd hand) £24.95 Direct...£4.95

Rip Off Amazon or what??

This is a recipe I've used for Blackberry Honey Vinegar ...it works well with raspberry too :

Blackberry vinegar

Fantastic stuff for cold a flu symptoms including sore throats. Stores for ages and as you dilute 1 table spoon with hot water in a mug, lasts for ages too. Also good for salad dressings !!

600ml of white wine vinegar
450g sugar
450g blackberries
225g honey

In a big jar, add the vinegar and blackberries and leave to steep for at least a week, shaking daily. Strain through a jelly bag and bring to the boil, add the sugar and honey, remove from heat and stir till all dissolved. Bottle into a sterilised suitable bottle.

And for polish recipes I'd try to find the leaflet printed by Clara Furness ...it turns up on Amazon sometimes.

Judy

Funny to see this recipe require sugar (would have thought you would just increase the honey quantity)

There is a well known father and son bee-farming operation down in Devon who make honey vinegar. Basically they make mead first, then inoculate with acetobacter (the one that makes it into vinegar). They use some sort of machine but basically your bucket with muslin over would work. Then filter and mature for a couple of years before bottling.

Good shout for mead makers as you can sell it without all the faff of licensing.

If you just put the honey in a bucket without making it into mead first not sure what quality you would get, might be vinegar but could have off notes and could be a mouldy old mess

Here is a link to an old pdf I found- haven't read it all but could be useful

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/Ag.%20Ext.%202007-Chelsie/PDF/e149.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for this and will have a read up ..

Actually ended up with a load of windfalls off our apple tree and used some old honey and made up some apple cider vinegar instead

its an experiment and worse case I can stick it in the chickens water !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bupAhuvnb0

basically wanted something to use up honey washings (from containers) and some old honey that started to ferment so will try a few things

Good luck and let us know how it goes

I have a honey cider vinegar ***mother.... we sell out of our famous Kings Orchard Honey Cider Vinegar every year.

I can only pass on the mother or her siblings to a "vouchsafed friend"........ Mine was gifted from one of the Cornish Bards!

Yeghes da

Back