Honey tastes a little like nuts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
OK, just a quick question, and hopefully you can help.

I am in the process of sorting out some supers to store for winter that I have taken off. There were a couple of drops of honey on the top of the frame tasted nutty (possibly dropped from the supers above, that I haven't yet dealt with). They tasted of a sort of hazel nuttish flavour.

Are my taste buds playing up, or are there some plants etc. that can produce honey that tastes a little like this? I must say, I really quite liked it. I am normally in a heavy(and I mean heavy) OSR area, so most of my honey in previous years have been this. For some reason there was hardly any around me this year (at least that I could see). Not sure if that info helps. I just know that my bees are incredibly keen on OSR.

Thanks in advance

Sally

Hi EricA
The taste is really sweet, and not bitter at all. There was only three drops so not much to go on, but a really lovely flavour. The colour was pale yellow, but I suppose with only a few drops it is difficult to call that one, because quantity can slightly alter colour (I think, well from what I have seen in the past).

I haven't really got that much experience of honey other that OSR. Just a little of (possibly) orchard honey before the main OSR flow starts. So new distinct flavours are a novelty.

Sally

There was very little rape planted in some areas due to the carp weather last year

Hi warts,
Hawthorn smells of almond. It is supposed to taste like almond too (not that I noticed). Mine did bring a lot of it in though. Did you have a lot of white pollen? Apparently, colour of honey it produces can be from pale yellow to quite dark.

That would explain an awful lot. Normally it is spot the non- yellow field, but not so this tear. And although I do like OSR honey, I must admit, I personally am enjoying a year off. If nothing else, the bees have found something else

Sally

Hawthorn has a nutty hint but the pale yellow colour doesnt describe hawthorn which is a darker brown, unless it is mostly sycamore with the more powerful hawthorn flavour masking the delicate sycamore. IME none of the chestnuts produce honey with even a hint of nutty flavour.

Hi Beeno
There are lots of hawthorn hedges around. The majority of the pollen I have seen has been either yellow, orange or dark purply-brown in colour. But it is an out apiary, and in all honesty, all. I have seen is a snap shot of what they are bringing in.

Hi MBC - there are quite a few trees nearby (a private wood on an estate etc.) but in truth, I'm ashamed to say that I have taken a great deal of notice of the trees nearby, other than the fruit trees.

Sally

Peanut M&Ms
can you remember that advert "what has a hazel nut in every bite" I think most people replied squirrel $$$$

Peanut M&Ms
can you remember that advert "what has a hazel nut in every bite" I think most people replied squirrel $$$$

Isn't that going off TOPIC!, Redwood?

NO WAY am I going to put "May contain Nuts" on the honey jar labels.... hardly any room left after all the rest of the legislative hogwash!

BUT... does not cyanide smell of almonds... how near are you to the nearest ICI works?

Latest posts

Back