Honey Storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyww

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Quick question, got lots of jars of honey which I keep in the dining room, i.e. it never gets really cold. Thinking of moving them into the loft which will see more extremes in the temperature range, is this ok - I'd hate to spoil my surplus.

Thanks

PS I'm in Berkshire which is quite temperate

Hi,

Quick question, got lots of jars of honey which I keep in the dining room, i.e. it never gets really cold. Thinking of moving them into the loft which will see more extremes in the temperature range, is this ok - I'd hate to spoil my surplus.

Thanks

PS I'm in Berkshire which is quite temperate
The honey could set in the jars or just crystallise ... it becomes less attractive for sale when this happens but it does not affect the honey in any way. If it happens you can easily return it to a runny state by warming it up. Several ways of doing this ...if the jars are labelled you can build a warming cabinet and put the set jars in there for a few days (Plenty of threads on here about warming cabinets). If the jars are unlabelled then you can warm them in a water bath .. the Lidl Jam maker or a slow cooker is ideal for this.

Personally, I store my honey in buckets until I need to jar some up for sale .. just turn a bucket full into runny honey and jar as much as you need for the next few weeks sales. (Hindight is a pretty exact science isn't it ?)

I store buckets and jars at 8/10 c in a cellar and as and when I need them I will take them out to be either warmed through or not, I'm actually doing both no harm in selling your honey with crystals, some people prefer it because it hasn't had the heat treatment.
Exelerated crystalization happens at a constant 14 c
Personaly I wouldn't store my honey in a loft, temperature is going to fluctuate to much in my opinion.
Better to put the jars in a coubourd under the stairs? Or something similar?

Latest posts

Back