Honey stall display idea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Good morning all,
I have had a really good crop and will likely do some markets to get rid of it. Never done any before and would be grateful for some display ideas if possible. Can you please share some pics?
PS; I am already registered with the council, have my public liability ins and food hygiene rating .

I'd just like to jump in on this too and request same, as about to do my first market also. Do people just rock up with a trestle/fold-up table and plonk it on and let it speak for itself, or take other materials etc to make an appealing design?

If you can construct a stepped display to put your jars on it aids the impact .. we have one in the association for when we do events .. ours is made from tubular steel but it's a bit on the heavy side .. I reckon one made out of plywood and 2 x1 would be a lot lighter.

Something along these lines - not too difficult to make something simple.

It's good to have some photos of your bees/apiary and some non-sales literature that draws people in .. once they get near you have a sales opportunity. Make sure your prices are clearly signed ... you will be surprised at how many people just pick up a jar and pay. These days I now have an I-zettle to take card payment ... made such a difference to sales now not having to mess about with loose change. Cheap to buy on promotion (£19 !) and they just charge 1.75% on sales - money straight into my account a day or so later.

Attachments

• display rack.jpg
    display rack.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the tips @pargyle , really useful.

@spiderplantman you need to be registered with your council, have a food hygiene rating which you will need to display (if applicable in Engalnd), and a public liability insurance. Some markets offer a marquee and table at extra cost, some don't. I would check with your local market organiser as requirements may vary.

@spiderplantman you need to be registered with your council, have a food hygiene rating which you will need to display (if applicable in Engalnd), and a public liability insurance. Some markets offer a marquee and table at extra cost, some don't. I would check with your local market organiser as requirements may vary.

Yep, all already done. Food Hygiene rating not required in our council (I registered with them, they phoned and told me we were too small fry to be worth bothering with, but thanked me for letting them know we were there). PL insurance as part of BKA membership. It was more the display of honey products you asked about that was important really.

Last edited:
Good morning all,
I have had a really good crop and will likely do some markets to get rid of it. Never done any before and would be grateful for some display ideas if possible. Can you please share some pics?
PS; I am already registered with the council, have my public liability ins and food hygiene rating .

I would say it's not just about the visual. To help entice sales create an experience. The smell of freshly baked bread, a couple of platters of fresh crusty buttered bread sample bites with a generous helping of your honey should open more than a few purses!

I agree with Karol. It is all about the selling. I did two different honey's in a white paper bag with my logo on the bag too. I also bought loads of wine glasses with a bee on them and did the glass and a jar of honey in the bag for Christmas ready made Christmas presents. Sold out in an hour!!. Just think outside the box

I used to do a farmers market. This is us at Conwy Honey Fair, selling three different types of honey, cut comb, D06C23C0-8F04-45E7-9E67-1C60313EB3E6.jpegcandles, honey fudge and bkackcurrant lavender and honey jam prettily parcelled up for Christmas. We used to sell as much of that as the honey and I could never make enough fudge.
We had a good spot in front of Drew’s shop. 😁

I used to do a farmers market. This is us at Conwy Honey Fair, selling three different types of honey, cut comb, View attachment 27719candles, honey fudge and bkackcurrant lavender and honey jam prettily parcelled up for Christmas. We used to sell as much of that as the honey and I could never make enough fudge.
We had a good spot in front of Drew’s shop. 😁
Looks very nice. Like the idea of honey fudge.

Looks fantastic Dani. I am only doing for the first time as I have had a good crop and need to get rid of it. I supply a couple of shops but I can get more per jar at the local farmers market.

We were discussing with Sarah earlier and said that if it's going to be an annual affair we can get organised and make candles, creams, etc over the winter for next summer. This year it will only be jars!

I have asked the club if I can borrow the 3 frames observation hive to take to the market. I thought it would be a good way to get the punters in. I will make my own over the winter.

Pre covid I was doing them every other week but haven't done one for ages.I'm booked on one tomorrow but it's outdoors and the weather looks atrocious so I'll be giving it a miss (and losing the stall fee) About 80% of my sales are honey with the other products (candles,lip balm,hand cream,polish and soap) making up the other 20%. Having tasters makes a huge difference but this is difficult now with covid. It's a good idea to bring some beekeeping bits and bobs along to decorate the stall ( I take smoker,skep empty drawn, comb,veil etc)

That's amazing, you obviously do a fair few to put so much effort into it.

Latest posts

Back