Honey sieved - what now!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbersworkshop

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi

We've just taken our first full super of honey from our hive. We cut the comb out of each frame then just sort of mashed it up in a big double sieve and let it filter over a couple of days. We got a good harvest this way, but I now have a big tub of mashed up wax comb and honey 'dregs' that I'm not sure what to do with. I accidentally left a couple of the empty frames outside the hive and the bees methodically stripped them of every last scrap of remaining honey and I'm wondering if that would be a good way of dealing with my tub of leftovers. Is it just easy feeding for the bees, or is there a good reason (or many!) not to do this again.

This is my first post here. Thanks in advance.
Matt

Hi

We've just taken our first full super of honey from our hive. We cut the comb out of each frame then just sort of mashed it up in a big double sieve and let it filter over a couple of days. We got a good harvest this way, but I now have a big tub of mashed up wax comb and honey 'dregs' that I'm not sure what to do with. I accidentally left a couple of the empty frames outside the hive and the bees methodically stripped them of every last scrap of remaining honey and I'm wondering if that would be a good way of dealing with my tub of leftovers. Is it just easy feeding for the bees, or is there a good reason (or many!) not to do this again.

This is my first post here. Thanks in advance.
Matt
With the wax and honey dregs you could make mead. Otherwise if you want to feed the dregs back to the bees, use a rapid feeder or English feeder, or leave it above the crownboard with the roof on. You shouldn't open feed as this will attract bees from other apiaries. Once they clean up the dregs you will be left with the wax which they will fashion into strange shapes. Then melt the wax and filter it until you are happy with it. This can then be used to buy more foundation with their exchange scheme.

open feeding is not considered the right way of doing things
The mash you have left should be by now mostly wax which can be processed

I accidentally left a couple of the empty frames outside the hive and the bees methodically stripped them of every last scrap of remaining honey and I'm wondering if that would be a good way of dealing with my tub of leftovers.
Not only bees and disease spreading, but it will also attract wasps into the apiary at this time of the year!

Latest posts

Back