Honey Room Floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Twidle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a wooden shed that has been kitted out as an extraction room. The floor has been lined with chipboard but I wanted to cover it with something that will make it easier to wipe up the odd spillage. What would members suggest as a permanent fix?

I used polyflor in mine and have it coming up the walls a couple of inches to mop but is best on concrete but just vinyl sheet floor is cheap and fine unless you are really messy and get honey under the edges

Tiles with a roll out vinyl strip that I can take outside to clean! A drain hole like a wet room is a good idea!

After many attempts to keep honey at bay with the odd drip I now lay down one of those woven polypropylene tarpaulins before I start. Dirt cheap, works really well and roll up and pop in the washing machine when finished. If you have a major spill this also works well. One tip though is to wear slippers/crocs or the like so when you leave where you are extracting you can slip them off in case there is honey on the soles and a newspaper at the door to leave them on.

I used two part epoxy from resin coat on my floor impressed by the finish. Not sure if suitable for a wooden floor though.

I used two part epoxy from resin coat on my floor impressed by the finish. Not sure if suitable for a wooden floor though.
Cheaper epoxies can be very brittle that is why I went for a MMA based resin.
The product I mention in post 3 is a acrylic/polyurethane blend that should be tough and flexible at a reasonable cost. It says it is suitable for wood as well.

if you would like something for very long time and waterproof go to B&Q
very offten they sale "Luxury vinyl click flooring" very cheap because somebody open or return few package
no need to be experiment to put such floor

I lay a piece of Lino down that covers the impact area for the honey that I roll up and pressure wash off before rolling it up and storing ready for next years foray. You can find plenty of off cuts on FB Mkt place. Saved my marriage :)

Latest posts

Back