Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Ando 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi Admin

I just thought, that as I'm extracting my first honey this evening and am looking for Ideas to use some honey in cooking, maybe the forum could do a recipes section, so people can list whats good to do with honey in cooking.

Cheers

Mark.

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
Porridge and toast.

So no imagination here then!

Ando 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Honey Glazed Chicken

Found this so am going to try it tonight, got some cabbage, peas, broad beans and potatoes, ready in the garden to go with it.

Honey Glazed Chicken.

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts

Half a Lemon

1 Tbsp Honey

1 Tbsp Soy Sauce

Method

1. Put 2 chicken breasts, skin side up in a small baking dish and season.

2. Squeeze the lemon into a bowl and stir in the honey and soy sauce. Spoon the mixture over the chicken, then tuck the squeezed-out half of lemon between the pieces (this will moisten and add flavour to the chicken).

3. Roast the chicken breasts in a baking dish, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven (190C/gas 5/fan oven 170C). Cook until done and richly glazed, basting with the juices at least twice. To check if they are done, prod the chicken with your finger - if it's still a bit soft, give it a bit longer.

4. Serve with salad and potatoes roasted with herbs and garlic.

Cheers

Mark.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The only thing I do cooking wise is make Mead.

I still have one batch fermenting after 2 years with a champagne yeast.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It's a waste of nice honey to cook with it in my opinion. I've had to stop myself closely questioning potential purchasers of mine as to what they are going to do with it...............:)

Frisbee

Ando 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The only thing I do cooking wise is make Mead.

I still have one batch fermenting after 2 years with a champagne yeast.
Have you got any recipes for Mead? I fancy having a go at making some, my bro-in-law lives near lands end and when we go down, we often go to the meadery in the village and come out a bit blurry eyed!

Not that theres anything wrong with toast or crumpets and honey, with something this pure and good, it's got to be worth doing it justice in some nice culinary delights??

Cheers

Mark.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Mead recipe

4lb Honey
Juice and rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon (no white pith)
suitable Yeast - white wine or champagne would be good
Yeast Nutrient & Tannin
6 pints Water

Boil the water and honey together, pour into fermenting container, add orange & lemon juice and grated rind, add nutrient and tannin, top up to 1 gallon. Use an air lock and ferment to a finish.

Notes from me :)
A purist would omit the orange and lemon.
It may help fermentation to get going by starting with 2lbs of honey and when it is fermenting well add the remaining 2lbs. This is because yeast needs certain things to survive and grow, too much can cause it to stop.
Tannin is very necessary to give the finished wine "body". You can buy Tannin from wine supply shops, but you could add a pint of strong tes to your mix and that will do the trick. Nutrient is necesary in mead as the yeast has so little to work on - it helps to feed it.

Metheglin is spiced mead and could be made with all sorts of combinations - herbs as well as spices, a mix of your favourite. :)

Frisbee

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Mead is quite slow to ferment to a finish, compared to anything else home made. Ordinary grape wine can be through in a couple of weeks, any other fruit or veg takes longer and mead may be up to 6 months.

The finished alcohol content will depend on many things. If you use a proper modern wine yeast I think it will go to maybe 13 - 14% but again it depends, Eventually the alcohol kills the yeast so there is a limit.

Frisbee

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Mead can be speeded up by the use of yeast nutrients , top quality yeast plus a little tannin (all allowed in the show schedule:).

John Wilkinson

Widdershins 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
I agree, we need a honey recipe section - then I shall add those ones from the old booklets ;)

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Will sort something out this evening :cheers2:

Thanks for the feedback guys and girls..

Widdershins 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
...did you do one? I have had a quick look (with specs on!!) and havent come across it yet....

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Your welcome,its something we should of started about a year ago.

Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts