Honey Processing simplified.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Just a few pics of how I handle the crop.

Just a wash up and the frame is ready to be used again.
PH

PH - are you just using straightforward unwired foundation there for your comb honey?

It's cut comb foundation. What else? From Peter Kemble.

PH

Looks great.

Just out of interest, do you have any more pictures of your set up that you could put in another post ?

What set up are you meaning? The hives? The honey processing?

PH

I am making a series of pics on the clearer board. Am just waiting for mesh from the supplier.

Will do my best and thanks for the request.

PH

where do u get the containers from to place the cut comb into and out of intreast how much do you sell them for.

PH, your pics are informative and instructive. Many thanks.

I assume that pic 1 is how it looks when you take the frame from the hive, and that you deliberately use just one bottom bar ?

Referring to pic 5, do you then insert a whole sheet of foundation, or just a top strip ?

How is it then fixed in the frame ? do you use the pinch bar and gimp pins ? (it doesn't appear so from pic 1)

JC. (inexperienced pedant).

Last edited:
PH, your pics are informative and instructive. Many thanks.

I assume that pic 1 is how it looks when you take the frame from the hive, and that you deliberately use just one bottom bar ?

Referring to pic 5, do you then insert a whole sheet of foundation, or just a top strip ?

How is it then fixed in the frame ? do you use the pinch bar and gimp pins ? (it doesn't appear so from pic 1)

JC. (inexperienced pedant).

Yes i would also like to ask the same questions, saved me a bit of typing :)

Yes one bottom bar. No need for two.

Wax is fixed in with molten wax and is a whole sheet NOT a strip.

PH

Welcome.

reason for not using strips is they are liable to draw the strip as worker and then build drone comb. Unsightly.

Same applies to diagonal strips, as in cutting the rectangle across the diagonal. Yes it works to a point and you get two for one but the comb is not bonny where it changes to drone and it is the bonniness of the comb that sells it. Not worth the penny pinching.

PH

Last edited:
Ah but note the not worth. In other words there is more to be gained by spending than their is by saving. ;)

PH

Nice pics PH,my question is are you giving guests these packs at breakfast per table ?
Could you not do some with a half size cutter ?
Or do you cut the comb into strips for breakfast ?

now now Admin dinna be so silly. give the guests sellable honey? Pah. Perish the thought.

On the table is one, note the one, dish of comb honey which is replenished from the offcuts from cutting the saleable packs. ;) There are three brekkie tables.

PH (Still a damn good Scot despite the location)

Latest posts

Back