Honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking of honey prices, because I've uped my jar price wholesale by £ 1 I have lost a shop we sell to.
they usually buy 50 jars every month throughout the year, interestingly though local sales have gone up loads even with the increase in price and I'm not to worried about losing the shop.
Have I done the right thing by not supplying them, dropping the jar price by 50p probably would of kept them on board!! 🤷‍♂️

That’s up to you. If you can sell it all at the new price it doesn’t matter. What were you charging them?

Maybe the question to ask is "does the increase in local sales cover the loss of that shop even without the increase of £1 per jar and is it sustainable?" it must be good to know that you have/had a steady income stream throughout the year. I have to say a £1 per jar is rather a big increase all at once on a wholesale price, but there is no point at supplying them if it makes a loss.

Most commercial guys I know run with stock/reserve. It covers bad years so outlets don’t go elsewhere, it provides a fund for large item purchases. Also if the ideal outlet contacts you then you can supply. So selling all you have is maybe not the best idea in the long run! If a shop is moaning about price increases suggest sale or return as a compromise at the new price. Also once customers start asking some outlets may even come back to you, in particular if they feel they are loosing other sales.

The school I help with bees had a charity day and the heads wife had bottled up honey for sale with a bee info stand. When I turned up with the observation hive the honey was priced rather low. A discussion! resulted in a new price of £7.50 12oz. So at the end of the day I asked about the price, she said a few had commented. My reply was we should have charged more as we sold out, I had to restock from a little I’d brought suspecting sales would be good!

I sell some of my honey at a local museum gift shop. I supply it sale-or-return, so there is no risk for them and I charge them the same price as I sell it (£7.50/454g).

As with other produce the bigs outprice the smalls. They sit next to the printing press and can outprice anyone in the real economy.But selling counterfit goods legally on such a massive scale just makes you question all the other fraud going on.

Yep, biggest issue with honey prices are… other beekeepers.
And the local BKAs apparently. Herefordshire BKA is having a stand at the Big Apple event next weekend and will be selling honey - £4.50 / 12 oz and £6.00 / 1 lb. They have asked if any beeks have honey to sell, with HBKA taking 10% to cover expenses. They won't be getting any of mine at that price, however.

And the local BKAs apparently. Herefordshire BKA is having a stand at the Big Apple event next weekend and will be selling honey - £4.50 / 12 oz and £6.00 / 1 lb. They have asked if any beeks have honey to sell, with HBKA taking 10% to cover expenses. They won't be getting any of mine at that price, however.
Are you talking about the apple fest in tenbury wells.?
I've been asked if I have honey to sell there , price was a little bit more than that but I also won't be supplying mine.

Normally associations rely on a few larger members to stock such events. Those who do it properly ask around a few of the main suppliers to set the price at a sensible/agreeable level. I’d say that £6-£7.50 is a minimum for a 12oz jar. Go ahead stick your oar in and reply. If you don’t it’ll be the same next season!

Normally associations rely on a few larger members to stock such events. Those who do it properly ask around a few of the main suppliers to set the price at a sensible/agreeable level. I’d say that £6-£7.50 is a minimum for a 12oz jar. Go ahead stick your oar in and reply. If you don’t it’ll be the same next season!
I've already emailed them.

Large members may be a good description but I mean number of hives.🤐 I’ve known a few bee farmers also members of local associations, most didn’t really get to involved but readily supplied such events, particularly in poor seasons when joe blogs had little.

Back