Honey pollen analysis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davnig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
One of the few interesting sections on Martha's program (don't get me started on the manuka segment!) was the pollen analysis she had done. It would be interesting to find out what makes up my honey.

Has anyone ever had it done and has an idea of cost?
any contact details for people/labs who do it?

cheers

Can anyone recommend a reasonable microscope?

Before my fellow pedants jump in, I will qualify thus: I want to be able to do the following:

1) identify pollen
2) identify nosema
3) capture images of 1) and 2)

Needs to be simple to use. I don't need anything fancy and have no experience of using microscopes as I never studied biology (it was optional at my school alongside certain arts) I don't have any great interest in any other use.

I use Macs and have no access to a PC at the moment, so that must be factored in as some of these cameras are PC only.

I understand there are adapters for cameras, so would happily use a basic microscope with an adapter for my DSLR as I the captured image would probably be better than a VGA feed.

Grateful for any advice. I have checked the search and come across a few suggestions, but on searching names and links, these models are not available or pages have closed.

Hi Davnig,
I would do a microscopy taster with someone before you invest as it is not an easy thing to do.

Hi Davnig,
I would do a microscopy taster with someone before you invest as it is not an easy thing to do.

Done a bit of a taster with the division and seen how to produce samples for nosema. But they were using divisional equipment and couldn't recommend anything.

Hi Davnig,

I was looking at sending some off for analysis rather than doing it myself

Hi Davnig,

I bought a simple microscope for grandchildren at a car boot for five pounds with a few glass slides and cover slips. Highest magnification is 400x but its an easy and cheap solution to someone wanting to try out simple microscopy if you keep your eyes open around your local boot sales

On the show you can see the guy's name and the name of the firm he's set up for himself. A bit of a ratch around on the Internet and you can find his contact details. I've pm'd you his email address.

Looking at some certificates he's produced in the past, it looks like urban/suburban/garden honeys are not easy to characterise because of the presence of exotic pollens. This might be worth bearing in mind when considering spending money on analysis.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable microscope?

Before my fellow pedants jump in, I will qualify thus: I want to be able to do the following:

1) identify pollen
2) identify nosema
3) capture images of 1) and 2)

Needs to be simple to use. I don't need anything fancy and have no experience of using microscopes as I never studied biology (it was optional at my school alongside certain arts) I don't have any great interest in any other use.
I use Macs and have no access to a PC at the moment, so that must be factored in as some of these cameras are PC only.
I understand there are adapters for cameras, so would happily use a basic microscope with an adapter for my DSLR as I the captured image would probably be better than a VGA feed.
Grateful for any advice. I have checked the search and come across a few suggestions, but on searching names and links, these models are not available or pages have closed.

Brunel Microscopes offer good advice on their website and by phone - they were at Harper Adams Convention trade fair and were recommended by the tutor on the microscopy course I attended.

On the show you can see the guy's name and the name of the firm he's set up for himself. A bit of a ratch around on the Internet and you can find his contact details. I've pm'd you his email address.

Looking at some certificates he's produced in the past, it looks like urban/suburban/garden honeys are not easy to characterise because of the presence of exotic pollens. This might be worth bearing in mind when considering spending money on analysis.

thanks , I was going to go to iplayer and get the details but you've saved me watching that drivel again

ta :)

I sent some honey off last year to be tested...part of a research project that I think you might have alerted me to! Anyway, I ticked to box to be informed of the results when available, which they warned could be a very long time.

I sent some honey off last year to be tested...part of a research project that I think you might have alerted me to! Anyway, I ticked to box to be informed of the results when available, which they warned could be a very long time.

oh yeah, had forgotten about that!

I was lucky enough to have been given an old, but very good Olympus microscope, with the intention of doing some pollen analysis. I have hooked it up to the PC using a camera bought off the internet - (please PM me if you want to know which one)
I was recommended to collect pollen from local plants, to stain and create my own reference library as this is makes identification much easier than using a key - or someone elses photos. This is the easy part :)

I have identified some of the pollen in my honey, and taken pollen from comb, or dropped pollen loads to check out. Some is easy as the pollen grains are quite distinctive - eg the rust-red dandelion my bees are currently collecting, but there are quite a lot of 'small oval yellow' grains that will take me a lot more practice to sort out :)

Latest posts

Back