Honey on Toast ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If people used the word haint (which doesn't precicely mean virus (as viruses are a pretty new discovery) or haint y goron which is the closest shot at coronavirus you'll get all sorts of blank looks. Language has to evolve and it does that by adapting imported words in some circumstances.
The Welsh language is one of the oldest languages next to latin around here, it's evolution was hindered a lot for centuries so catchup is always going to be difficult.
At least some of us try and make the best of it although I do baulk at some of the more outlandish manufactured words offered when I'm vetting translations.
Pity that you were not around to vet this one:
1606167414569.png

What's wrong with Lurpak?
not enough salt to have the right to call itself butter for a start :) no flavour and packed full of bland, used to sit in the same class as Anchor - what we used to label 'I can't believe it's butter' on the messdeck 😁

Multigrain bread, butter/whatever,
Half with marmalade , half with honey
(Only 1 slice - weight watching)

Occasionally jam (not shop), Marmite.
I'm very glad someone finally mentioned marmalade! Home-made in January, from Seville oranges; 10 minutes in a pressure cooker to soften the peel; 10 minutes (max) on a rolling boil. Include a couple of lemons per batch; for a bit of variation, add a grapefruit to one batch and some ginger in syrup to another

I generally look out for beekeepers when I go on holiday and buy other people's honey as a change from my own. I'm also impressed with the forest honeys that David Wainwright imports from Africa (not everyone's slice of toast - Mrs F can't deal with it - I reckon it's 30-50% pollen!)

Sourdough made with flour from Matthews mill down the road at Shipton-under-Wychwood, preferably their Eight Grain mix, supplemented with wholemeal & white. Final rise overnight and bake at 245 degrees in a Dutch oven before breakfast

Butter?! Who needs it...

not enough salt to have the right to call itself butter for a start :) no flavour and packed full of bland, used to sit in the same class as Anchor - what we used to label 'I can't believe it's butter' on the messdeck 😁
Food companies spend years making products that undermine the health of those who eat them; deliberately manipulating – salt, sweet and fat – that act like a drug in the brain's pleasure zones. They should have consulted you and the mess deck tribe first and saved loads of money and time...... :biggrinjester:

Well 'telephone' is a lot better than the miscegenous 'television' - a messy mixture of the Greek 'tele' and the Latin 'visio' from 'videre' : to see.

It should properly be 'proculvision' , (the word 'telescope' already having been taken) but I suspect it may be a little late to make the change
Welsh, English, Latin and Greek (and Sanskrit and Persian) all go back to the same root language, spoken 6-8000 years ago in an area north-east of the Caspian Sea. Re-mixing is fine :)

I once worked for a large multi-national marketing Co. The MD stood up at a meeting soon after Grand Met merged with Guinness: "Now, if you remember your Latin, you'll know that 'Diageo' means 'across all the world'..."
🤡:svengo:

I'm also impressed with the forest honeys that David Wainwright imports from Africa (not everyone's slice of toast - Mrs F can't deal with it - I reckon it's 30-50% pollen!)
Probably due to the fact most is harvested 'crush and strain' I've noticed pollen levels particularly high in Tanzania, I visited a village at the far South West edge of the Selous National Park and the beekeeper therre showed me a 100 Kg drum of honey he had on top of the honey was a thick layer of pollen. The whole thing tasted divine.

Probably due to the fact most is harvested 'crush and strain' I've noticed pollen levels particularly high in Tanzania, I visited a village at the far South West edge of the Selous National Park and the beekeeper therre showed me a 100 Kg drum of honey he had on top of the honey was a thick layer of pollen. The whole thing tasted divine.
Back in the day, I tagged along as a passenger on a journey to fetch those ingungurus of honey from hunters in West Pokot back to Nairobi. I don't use the word "hunters" lightly; in those days the guys were carrying spears, bows and arrows

Welsh, English, Latin and Greek (and Sanskrit and Persian) all go back to the same root language, spoken 6-8000 years ago in an area north-east of the Caspian Sea. Re-mixing is fine :)

I once worked for a large multi-national marketing Co. The MD stood up at a meeting soon after Grand Met merged with Guinness: "Now, if you remember your Latin, you'll know that 'Diageo' means 'across all the world'..."
🤡:svengo:

"Diageo is an invented name that was created by the branding consultancy Wolff Olins in 1997. The name is composed of the Latin word diēs, meaning "day", and the Greek root geo-, meaning "world"; and is meant to reference the company slogan "Celebrating Life, Every Day, Everywhere" "
https://tinyurl.com/y6tpmw5y
Edit .. I looked it up as I recalled Dies from school boy Latin but Geo?

"Diageo is an invented name that was created by the branding consultancy Wolff Olins in 1997. The name is composed of the Latin word diēs, meaning "day", and the Greek root geo-, meaning "world"; and is meant to reference the company slogan "Celebrating Life, Every Day, Everywhere" "
I'm a bit sceptical here. I can't find any other source that supports that etymology - though I admit that if it's wrong you'd expect one or the other to complain. It's a bit of a step from "dies" to "dia" (why not "Diegeo"?) , dia is a common Greek prefix meaning "across/through/over"...

I'm a bit sceptical here. I can't find any other source that supports that etymology - though I admit that if it's wrong you'd expect one or the other to complain. It's a bit of a step from "dies" to "dia" (why not "Diegeo"?) , dia is a common Greek prefix meaning "across/through/over"...
I am not convinced that the branding consultancy was either that well read or in the least bit worried. For what it is worth, here is Lewis and Short on "Dia" :

Dīa, ae, f., Δῖα.
I The old name of the island of Naxos, Ov. M. 3, 690; 8, 174. —
II A city in the Chersonesus Taurica, Plin. 4, 12, 26, § 86.—
III An island near Crete, now Standia, id. 4, 12, 20, § 61.—
B A woman's name.
I The mother of Mercury, Cic. N. D. 3, 22, 56.—
II The wife of Ixion, and mother of Pirithous, Hyg. F. 155.

Not sure how that fits with a pint of Guiness and Johnny Walker chaser

I assume when the MD said "remember your Latin " he might have known what he was talking about. :confused::cool:

It's all Greek to me...

I always eat home made bread now but in another life.....bought white sliced bread, butter, lyles golden syrup and plain salted crisps made into a sandwich. I think it was the sweet and the salt and the crunchiness.
This life.....home made warm bread and my honey!

Honey on fresh croissants, cup of Lavazza.
Yes ,.... that's a really good combination ... proper buttery fresh French croissants straight from the Pattiserie slathered in runny honey ... best eaten sitting on a boat in a French harbour ... that's got my mouth watering with memories.

Yes ,.... that's a really good combination ... proper buttery fresh French croissants straight from the Pattiserie slathered in runny honey ... best eaten sitting on a boat in a French harbour ... that's got my mouth watering with memories.
No no.
Butter and Apricot conserve on croissants.

Latest posts

Back