Honey not looking too good

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudley

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 apiary's 1 with 3 hives 2nd with 5 hives
I am going to try to attach a photograph of a sample of my honey. It is last years honey and because of its appearance I have not wanted to market it, so I still have lots left. Before I extract this years crop I would like to know where I went wrong. I used a settling tank but no other straining, is it simply that i should invest in filters?View attachment 1853 Thank you.

I am going to try to attach a photograph of a sample of my honey. It is last years honey and because of its appearance I have not wanted to market it, so I still have lots left. Before I extract this years crop I would like to know where I went wrong. I used a settling tank but no other straining, is it simply that i should invest in filters?View attachment 1853 Thank you.
I should add, last year was my 1st time!

just looks like it has crystalized. Does it taste/smell ok?

just looks like it has crystalized. Does it taste/smell ok?

Oh yes its fine to eat, its lovely, I am sure there is nothing wrong to stop it being edible. The honey is set hard and when warmed through it clears. So as you say it possibly is crystallized. But although I have purchaced set and runny honey I have never seen any looking like this. It just does not look good to label and market.

Thanks Steve.

Last edited:
Warm it till runny then let it cool and it should be ok. I think the term for it is called frosting.

Warm it till runny then let it cool and it should be ok. I think the term for it is called frosting.

Since you're last message saying it was crystallization, I have been looking at threads on that suject on here, and yes it looks like warming may be the answer. I read that you have to get it to 160c to stop it recrystallizing. Sounds hot to me. But I shall try with a jar or two and see if much of the flavour is lost.

Thanks Steve.

look below (I hope you meant 16 degrees centigrade not 160 degrees centigrade)

75°F (24°C) prepares base honey and seed honey for creaming; decrystallises semi-granulated honey in jars.
80°F (27°C) prepares combs of blossom honey before uncapping and extracting (needs 12 hours or more)
90°F (32°C) prepares combs of heather honey before using a heather honey loosener or roller (36 hours or more)
95°F (35°C) prepares combs of rape honey which, though liquid, are not dripping with thin honey and have been at least half-sealed (needs 3 - 4 days)
100°F (38°C) liquifies honey that has been stored in airtight containers in bulk.
120°F (49°C) reclaims solidified rape honey. Cut the solid comb from the frames and mash them in a 30 1b plastic bucket. After 2 - 3 days the wax and a portion of the very solid crystals will be suspended in a mush in the liquid honey. Strain to remove the mush for processing in a steam or solar wax extractor. Do not allow liquid honey to remain at 120°F any longer than absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Just hope they read it before overheating the honey.

Thanks Craig and John for that info. I shall give it a try.

Steve.

try warming your jars before pouring,and reduce air going in by pouring like a pint.
i have seen honey that badly frosted sell,little bit of frosting is ok, too much,melt it down.
watch for rust round the lid and jar screws

There used to be a label about frosting which made it clear that it was natural and normal.

Which it is.

However it does not look bonny on the shelf and so need to be considered in terms of marketing.

Which is where learning to cream honey comes in.

PH

Admin : This came from craig - any chance of making it a sticky? it'd be handy for anyone studying module 2 (or was it 1?)

75°F (24°C) prepares base honey and seed honey for creaming; decrystallises semi-granulated honey in jars.
80°F (27°C) prepares combs of blossom honey before uncapping and extracting (needs 12 hours or more)
90°F (32°C) prepares combs of heather honey before using a heather honey loosener or roller (36 hours or more)
95°F (35°C) prepares combs of rape honey which, though liquid, are not dripping with thin honey and have been at least half-sealed (needs 3 - 4 days)
100°F (38°C) liquifies honey that has been stored in airtight containers in bulk.
120°F (49°C) reclaims solidified rape honey. Cut the solid comb from the frames and mash them in a 30 1b plastic bucket. After 2 - 3 days the wax and a portion of the very solid crystals will be suspended in a mush in the liquid honey. Strain to remove the mush for processing in a steam or solar wax extractor. Do not allow liquid honey to remain at 120°F any longer than absolutely necessary.[/I][/I]

I copied it from somewhere but cant remember where.

Latest posts

Back