Honey like marmalade!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheps

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My autumn honey is almost as thick as marmalade! Have heated to 49 C and it still wont go through the nylon filter (passed metal sieves with assistance).
Anybody had same problem? Trouble is when bottled it looks like orange jam. fantastic taste though.I am in east anglia and am assuming that most foraging was on hedgherow and rose willow. Never had honey like it! Any advice?
Thanks

Sounds like it may be heather honey.
Either press it through some muslin cloth, or if you have access to one, shear it through a vacuum filter, I have a strainaway filter perfect for the job.

No heather anywhere near me!
As it has gone through the fine metal strainer, will bottle as is. Maybe a strainaway next year!
Thanks

Mercifully I extracted on a very hot day, which continued for the next week, so was able to jar up without problems. Flowed through T's coarse and fine mesh sieves with no problem. A week later had set to the jam like consistency. Tastes lovely. Rave feed back from my customers.

No problem

Latest posts

Back