Honey Labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2, no 3, no 4 definitely 4......erm....5
Can someone point me towards a page on honey label requirements. Just thinking direct sale not to resellers. Have tried the search page but trawled through loads of pages and struggling.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cornwall Trading Standards had an excellent and informative web page aimed at small producers... not sure as it still exists as the Tories cut almost any budget that did not deal with their party members bloated remuneration!¬

Yeghes da

Labels should also be waterproof... most home produced jam labels seem not to be.
Not sure if the L before the lot number is set in legislation?

Yeghes da

It can be either .. I had them do me some new labels this year that have space for a lot number and we had a short discussion regarding this. In the end we opted for "Lot:" as space allowed for it.

What are the limits of specifying the location from which the honey comes?

So, can I label it as 'Midsomer Honey', even though the hives are within three miles of the Borsetshire border?

Can I call it 'Badgers Drift Honey', or even 'Badgers Drift Garden Honey'? All the hives are in my garden, but the bees don't confine themselves within my hedges.

Be vague, midsummer border honey, badgers drift honey, harvested from hives at badgers drift, badgers honey may be questionable he he
As long as you are not specific you can get away with it. Mine till I moved was 'offas country honey' could mean many things. Offas country or country honey etc etc.
E

What are the limits of specifying the location from which the honey comes?

So, can I label it as 'Midsomer Honey', even though the hives are within three miles of the Borsetshire border?

Can I call it 'Badgers Drift Honey', or even 'Badgers Drift Garden Honey'? All the hives are in my garden, but the bees don't confine themselves within my hedges.

When labelling remember bees don't collect honey from flowers they collect nectar, it becomes honey in the hive.
You can call it what you like really as long as it's not misleading from a forage point of view like calling it lavender honey when they foraged on osr.
Any pictures of flowers should be avoided on labels unless you check the pollen to make sure it's from that flower.

Last edited:
Bespokehoneylabels

To anyone considering or looking to have their own branded labels made, I suggest contact John on the above. I have used big supplier labels for years because I didn't quite know how I would arrive at my own label design but John has been fantastic throwing in various ideas, emailing samples, sending actual samples etc. Very good price and super quick delivery.

It's great to have ones own unique label when selling such a good product.

To anyone considering or looking to have their own branded labels made, I suggest contact John on the above. I have used big supplier labels for years because I didn't quite know how I would arrive at my own label design but John has been fantastic throwing in various ideas, emailing samples, sending actual samples etc. Very good price and super quick delivery.

It's great to have ones own unique label when selling such a good product.

Hello Wayne. How are you?
Good link :)
I just put pretty labels on the front with all the legal stuff crammed, legally, onto a cheap address label on the back.

Hi Dani

All good thanks. Battling varroa this autumn like never before.

John runs a great labelling business.

I sell my honey only in Orcio (poo-bear) jars so it presents some labelling issues because you can only really use the lid as the label because that is the only flat area. Previously I had terrible little rectangular labels will all the stuff on, stuck on the back of the jar and so was creased because it was on a curve. We came up with the idea to print my name and location, BB etc all on the tamper proof label - in a lighter font, so the lid label remained the focus. Really chuffed with the result.

Hope your season has been good?

Hi Dani

All good thanks. Battling varroa this autumn like never before.

Yes a few of us are
I like the orcio jars
Did 200 4 oz ones for wedding favours. We put the info on tags tied round the neck in the end.
Crop? Rubbish. Not as rubbish as last year though so looking up.

Yes a few of us are
I like the orcio jars
Did 200 4 oz ones for wedding favours. We put the info on tags tied round the neck in the end.
Crop? Rubbish. Not as rubbish as last year though so looking up.

It's hard to get a label on any size Orcio jars because of the rounded design, next time Ill be putting tags on too

It was John at Bespoke Honey Labels who informed me that regulations require that all information on the label must be permanently affixed, so we couldn't use a tag.

I use these people:

https://whitestarprints.co.uk/

Mikey is brilliant ... will design anything you want - and will print very small runs on gloss waterproof labels - great for jams and chutneys but he's done my honey labels this year and I'm very pleased with them. Service absolutely instant - next day delivery once you are happy with the design.

Latest posts

Back