Honey labels.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its definitely a good idea to put a lot number on the jar and keep a sample of the batch even if youre not legally required to as it gives you a little more protection if someone were to claim that your honey made them ill.

Just my humble opinion.

M

when selling honey from your door do you need to put labels on the jars??

Darren

Besides cost (which is pretty minimal compared to the product) what would be your reason for not labelling jars for sale?

I also think that labelling is a great advert for your honey as anyone who tries it may want to buy it!

No.

I have an email somewhere that advised me I could print the information on an A4 sheet of paper and display it with the honey, or laminate it and fasten it to the gate. There's no need to label jars individually.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingsta...nessadvice/tradingstandards-business-jams.htm

That kind of turns the regulations on its head doesn't it BJF? Taken to its natural conclusion; there is no need to label honey then as there is no difference from selling to joe/josephine public from either your garden gate or from a shop, car boot, fair etc.....

I might just buy a felt tip saves a fortune on labels

i have labels for all my jars, i was just wondering when selling from my door and to mostly people i know is there any need for them thats all.

Darren

That kind of turns the regulations on its head doesn't it BJF? Taken to its natural conclusion; there is no need to label honey then as there is no difference from selling to joe/josephine public from either your garden gate or from a shop, car boot, fair etc.....

I might just buy a felt tip saves a fortune on labels

Not quite, not all the time.

If you're selling direct from your home or direct from where the honey is packed, then the buyer knows where it's from and can get back to you if there's a problem or if they want more. The old rules about standard weight have gone, so you can sell in units of any number of grams you want, or just by the jarful - ask a price and if they don't want to pay they'll walk away.

Boot sales - if you're selling your own honey - are the same unless the organisers say otherwise.

Craft fairs and trade fairs are different, because they usually have their own rules about packaging and usually expect full labelling to comply with the rules/legislation - to protect the organisers as much as anything.

Selling through a third party, such as a shop, means the labelling has to be correct and the print should be permanent rather than done on an inkjet which can run if it gets wet, or can fade if in the sun for too long.

There's no reason you can't write on the jars, a CD pen would probably be permanent enough. All the information has to be there 'in one view' for third party sales, weight has to be written a minimum size etc., I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do that and sell through a shop. Might not get many takers though, unless it's very carefully done.

By the way, has anybody seen the latest Gales honey jars. A nice little picture on a see-through label with some tiny black printing on it that's well nigh illegible. If they can do it - and I'm sure they'd have a legal team to make sure their labels are correct - I don't see why the 'hobby' beekeeper can't use the same idea. It might bring places like Thornes, and the other label printers, into the 21st Century because some of their designs are archaic.

Just come back from my printers after proofing a new batch of labels before ordering - the labels are all vinyl and they've worked out at under £30.00 for a 1 metre square sheet which has about 280 or so of the larger labels on it (not going to give an exact price as it is all 'negotiable') and they will give generous discounts depending on the size of the order - they'll even help with any suitable design, not bad for a one horse outfit. I'm well chuffed!

I'v given up designing my labels, I had every intention of doing it last winter but couldn't find any inspiration, probably what writers get in between books, I must try harder next year lol

The idea is great and as an artist I have plenty of inspiration but it's not cost effective on a small scale.
I make the generic I use look as impressive as possible, maybe one day.......

it's not cost effective on a small scale.

You're right, of course.
I wish I could desist from tampering with pretty pictures for my labels.
I hate to think what I've spent on this hobby by tinkering and buying the wrong kit on impulse.
AND now somebody....ahem...has suggested that I might look at Swienty boxes :hairpull::hairpull:

Outstanding design Redwood..... real classy and eye catching, love it

You're right, of course.
I wish I could desist from tampering with pretty pictures for my labels.
I hate to think what I've spent on this hobby by tinkering and buying the wrong kit on impulse.
AND now somebody....ahem...has suggested that I might look at Swienty boxes :hairpull::hairpull:
:sorry:
You should though ;)

REDWOOD .... You're hired!!
Very nice.

Back