honey labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a correct and legal version on A TRADING STANDARDS website in Cornwall and there is a thread somewhere with address to a pdf. If you follow the above link it states weight must be given, it does not say in metric, as long as the buyer understands the weight system being used imperial is fine

think this is what you are talking about

slight recent variations of the needs to use fix amount 1 lb , 1/2lb etc but otherwise it is correct

l

Andy Duff, perhaps you should read the Honey Regs.

Last edited:
Andy Duff, perhaps you should read the Honey Regs.

As in...

"Packed honey must show a weight marking in metric, and may show an imperial weight mark in addition to the compulsory metric marking. The metric indication must be more prominent, and for most packs must be at least 4mm high. The imperial marking must be no larger than the metric one. Note that the quantity shown should be the net weight, i.e. the weight of the honey without the jar, lid and label."

Selling from the farm gate has certain exemptions but far easier just to label stuff properly in the first place :)

At last! Somewhere where I may be able to add some value to a discussion.
I havent got a clue about regs, weight, pure, distilled or postal addresses and I havent even had a yield yet HOWEVER I do brew my own beer and wine and create labels (well to be fair my youngest daughter gets abused for her computer skills) and she does some fine work.
She plays about with some programme or other and then prints them out and I use a guillotine to get the nice edges and they are just printed on normal paper.
So the useful piece of information I have to pass on is how I stick them to the bottles.
"GET ON WITH IT" I hear you screaming at your computer screen.
Ok then, I use milk. semi skimmed will suffice, I must admit I havent tried any out of date stuff and I have no particular preference as to which type of cow it came from but I just use a sort of paint brush thing that the wife uses for something to do with pastry making and paint the milk onto the back of the paper and slide the label into the right position on the bottle.
Works out fantastically well for resuing as the cleaning of bottles with some of that sticky stuff makes life a pain. Milk just comes off with the slightest amount of warm water.

Amazing. Welcome to the forum, Suavecarve :D

Milk, that's a new one, interesting.

wouldn't it smell after a while??

... I do brew my own beer and wine and create labels ... So the useful piece of information I have to pass on is how I stick them to the bottles.
Ok then, I use milk. semi skimmed will suffice, I must admit I havent tried any out of date stuff and I have no particular preference as to which type of cow it came from but I just use a sort of paint brush thing that the wife uses for something to do with pastry making and paint the milk onto the back of the paper and slide the label into the right position on the bottle.
Works out fantastically well for resuing as the cleaning of bottles with some of that sticky stuff makes life a pain. Milk just comes off with the slightest amount of warm water.

Casein (from milk) is the basis for many traditional glues.
Problem is that the storage has to be dry, dry, dry. The labels can come off before their time if there's a hint of dampness.

With homebrew beer bottles (especially for consumption at home), recycling-by-reusing is the game - but for honey for sale to the public, that ain't quite the same.
So ease of getting the label off a honey jar after use normally takes second place to getting the thing to stay stuck at least until you've sold it.

BTW - Avery software download: http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/Templates-&-Software/Software

/ oh, and many label vendors use Avery-compatible (copy!) sizes and layouts.

Last edited:

That is their interpretation of the regs, not the regulations.

Can anyone provide a link to a trading standards document which says an actual address is required?

As I said before, the regulations as I have found, simply state that the seller must be contactable from the details on the label. I did have my address, but I figured I would rather not publicise where my bees are if at all possible, so decided that I could be easily contactable from an email address.

I might be wrong, but if I am going to change a label it is because the actual regulations say so, not a non-official interpretation.

To add, with my interpretation (just) a phone number is also perfectly legal!

This bit at the end of those regulations is interesting :-

What labelling is required when I only sell a few jars from my premises direct to the consumer?

Under these circumstances the Food Labelling Regulations provide some flexibility for the way in which the required labelling information is presented.

For honey the essential labelling information is: the name of the food, a weight indication (prescribed quantity), country of origin and price per jar.

The labelling information for these products may appear either on a label attached to the food or on a notice, ticket or label that is clearly visible to the intending purchaser at the place where the food is selected please refer to our non pre-packed guidance notes).

Please note: Selling food loose or pre-packed for direct sale does not require a minimum durability date. However, we would recommend the use of a 'lot' or 'batch' identification to help facilitate a recall of the product if one were necessary.

Doesn't this mean that the fairly onerous labelling regulations are for those who are selling through a third party (shops etc.) rather than from their front door, or via an allotment shop?

If you have bothered to register with trading standards when they visit they will tell you exactly what is required for your situation. It is different if you only sell from your door but as soon as someone else is selling it for you then the rules change.
Its easier to get it right from the start. I didnt intend selling through shops but still designed my labels so I could.

... It is different if you only sell from your door but as soon as someone else is selling it for you then the rules change.
Its easier to get it right from the start. I didnt intend selling through shops but still designed my labels so I could.

Which should be the right answer!

If its legal for shop sale, then its legal for direct sale.
But not the other way round.

It makes sense not to rely on special exemptions that might be so obscure that the jobsworths were not fully familiar with them.
And being perceived as 'clever-clever' is not going to endear yourself to them.
Just go along with the mainstream - much simpler in the end.

Latest posts

Back