Honey Labelling.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone clarify if the following is true or not, I've been told by a fellow beek that you can't over fill a jar, i.e. if your label says 500g but the jar contains 550g of honey you've broken the regs/law.

It doesn't sound logical, sensible or reasonable to me but that doesn't mean it's not true.

I'm with JMB on this - there is no regulation that says you cannot give more than the stated weight.

I sell in nominal half-pound jars. Half a pound is 227 grammes. When I put 227g in a jar, at the beginning of selling honey, there was a significant air gap above the honey that did not look pleasant so I adapted the labels to read 240g, which means that the surface of the honey is just above the bottom of the lid. I think it looks better. My 240g honey jars sell locally for £5.50.

CVB

I agree that there is no harm in going over, well none that i have seen, but would try to keep it as little as possible.

the rules gives a TNE (tolerable negative error)by which you can be under the marked weight.
I.E.
200-300g you are allowed 9g
300-500g its 3% of the nominal weight

I aim to be over the marked weight but aim to still be within a self-imposed TPE of the same amount (if you can have a negative error why not a positive one too)

Just out of interest I just weighed several jars of honey. Identical jars. The honey that has set is 40 grammes lighter than the honey that is runny. Tried several jars and consistently differ throughout!!!!!
E

Just out of interest I just weighed several jars of honey. Identical jars. The honey that has set is 40 grammes lighter than the honey that is runny. Tried several jars and consistently differ throughout!!!!!
E

If it was whisky it would be the angels share!! :biggrinjester:

E

No!!!!!????
I presume the jars weighed the same when you closed the lids :D

For the address would you be able to put name and postcode? And then email address below. Would this pass?

Thinking about security more than anything as all my hives are at home.

Alternatively my company has a virtual address that it's registered to - could I use that?

For the address would you be able to put name and postcode? And then email address below. Would this pass?

Alternatively my company has a virtual address that it's registered to - could I use that?

You just need to be traceable.

Someone will correct me if this is wrong but as I understand it you must have your name and address on the label if you are selling your honey. So long as you can be found from the information, eg House Number and Post Code, the address does not need to be complete.

they are manufacturing packing and filling regulations, and if working to them you have to pull out samples from the filling line and record and keep for inspection, I've done that millions of time in my job, it's not something anyone wants to get into too time-consuming when you state on the jar there is 300g in the jar you must have 3oog in the jar, overfilling is asbad asunder filling, but being hobbist you just have to goover by as little as possible, belive me trying to argue the toss with trading standards will tie you up for solong with inspections and records its just not worth it.

With name and postcode, as well as email address I'd be happy that it's traceable, just wondering whether TC would be happy.

Alternatively I could put company name and company address on there which I'm fine with too.

Will have a think while I'm designing my label.

state on the jar there is 300g in the jar you must have 3oog in the jar, overfilling is asbad asunder filling,.

Trading standards informed me that as long as I stated a minimum quantity it didn't matter if they were slightly overfilled. Not that I try to overfill.....
Contact.... I have my Surname, a postcode and and an email address.

And if you are DIYing your labels they must be waterproof, so buy yourself a laser printer and print on the thickest paper setting it has....dishwasher safe then.

What the Regulations say

The regulations state " In accordance with Articles 10 to 35 and subject to the exceptions contained in this Chapter, indication of the following particulars shall be mandatory: ... (h) the name or business name and address of the food business operator referred to in Article 8(1);"

The regulation in question are REGULATION (EU) No 1169/2011 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 25 October 2011. You will find the above quotation in CHAPTER IV, MANDATORY FOOD INFORMATION, SECTION 1, Content and presentation, Article 9.

I've looked in the definitions of that regulation and cannot find "address" defined. I suspect, if you want to be sure, you'll have to ask your local Trading Standards office. A house number and postcode may find a particular location but it is not what people would normally call an address, is it? If you're having your collar felt by the boys in blue, I suspect they'd take a dim view of "23 PL29 7FO" as a response to "What's your address, then, Sir?"

My label have a full postal address - house number, road name, village, nearest town, county and postcode.

CVB

And if you are DIYing your labels they must be waterproof, so buy yourself a laser printer and print on the thickest paper setting it has....dishwasher safe then.

Here's a case in point. Not being waterproof was just one of the errors on this honey label I spotted in a shop in Looe.

The cost of professional label printing is tiny compared to the benefits. Printers are able to obtain high quality label stock whereas an amateur might struggle to find that quality of paper and adhesive. Get the label right - it sells the first jar to a customer, the contents sell subsequent jars.

CVB

Attachments

• IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    688 KB · Views: 43
Absolute rubbish and totally misleading

Well, I thought that Yeogi75 was wrong but cba to look up the relevant regulation. I can't imagine a TS officer saying to a magistrate "I want this beekeeper fined because he had more honey in the jar than was stated on the label". It ain't gonna happen!

CVB

Rubbish? Precisely what Trading Standards told me years ago.

The rationale being that over filled is more competitive than a jar filled to the right amount and so in their view as bad as underfilled.

Save the label grief and use the forum expert: Nantomel.

PH

The rationale being that over filled is more competitive than a jar filled to the right amount and so in their view as bad as underfilled.

Save the label grief and use the forum expert: Nantomel.

PH

Thanks for the heads up! I have seen so so many terrible labels a customer told me the labels sells the honey, the contents gets them to return, this I agree with.

Here's a case in point. Not being waterproof was just one of the errors on this honey label I spotted in a shop in Looe.

The cost of professional label printing is tiny compared to the benefits. Printers are able to obtain high quality label stock whereas an amateur might struggle to find that quality of paper and adhesive. Get the label right - it sells the first jar to a customer, the contents sell subsequent jars.

CVB

I used non waterproof labels for years to locals but now I have a cheapish black and white laser printer. The labels look classy in black and white and they don't run any more.
E

I used non waterproof labels for years to locals but now I have a cheapish black and white laser printer. The labels look classy in black and white and they don't run any more.
E

Yes they really do. :thanks: and the honey's also very good. bee-smillie

Hi PH - may be what you were told years ago - I don't dispute that but this is a quote from the gov.uk site - as mentioned by I think BF before.

Using the minimum weight system (the alternative is the average weight system)

"You can pack your products so that they contain at least the quantity displayed on the label. The packages can contain more than the label says, but not less"

site
https://www.gov.uk/weights-measures-and-packaging-the-law/packaged-goods

HTH

Latest posts

Back