Honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Bottle Company South - with shipping - 12oz Hex jars work out at 47p each on a quantity of 336.

I've ordered from F & H - with the 10% BBKA discount for a quantity of 528 at 34p a jar nobody else seems to come anywhere near that price for that quantity. Obviously for pallet loads the price drops further but I just don't have the space to store that many ... I'm not sure where I'm going to put 500 at present !

I'll let you all know what they are like when they arrive ...
Phillip,
F&H are good with delivery (they normally leave the 8 boxes stacked up in my porch) and the box sizes are such that they are easy to carry and store. A friend of mine has theirs delivered in larger boxes from another supplier and says the boxes buckle when shifting them. Of the suppliers I've used they are certainly the cheapest I could find for 12oz hex and easy to deal with.

A friend of mine has theirs delivered in larger boxes from another supplier and says the boxes buckle when shifting them.
I agree. The F&H 12oz hex are easier to move/store now as they come shrink-wrapped in single trays of 33.
Up until recently (couple of years?) they came in boxes stacked with cardboard between. Not a huge problem but the trays are more user-friendly.

F&H hex jars have a solid quality about them, they aren't light compared to 1lb jars. 12oz approx 208g compared to 1lb at approx 177g.

they aren't light compared to 1lb jars.
The 1lb jars were designed to war economy standards (in fact, it was illegal to sell honey in anything but the 'ministry' jars) which explains their relative lightness

I think we got the message ... as i resurrected this thread for very valid reasons I rather object to your posts... there is no advertising in this forum and it has a long standing reputation for not advertising. All the posts in this thread have been from people who have used a variety of jar suppliers and based on personal experience ... I suggest you may be seeking to advertise ?

I think we got the message ... as i resurrected this thread for very valid reasons I rather object to your posts... there is no advertising in this forum and it has a long standing reputation for not advertising. All the posts in this thread have been from people who have used a variety of jar suppliers and based on personal experience ... I suggest you may be seeking to advertise ?
Think it's sorted now - if I've missed any, let me know

The 1lb jars were designed to war economy standards (in fact, it was illegal to sell honey in anything but the 'ministry' jars) which explains their relative lightness

Same with loo paper until quite recent times!
Made to austerity wartime "ministry" standard ... only HEOs and above were allowed to wipe their bottoms with soft toilet paper..... us great unwashed had to use the thin glossy on one side product... I seem to remember it had the Ministry of Works logo on it to prevent theft!!!
Sorry :ot:

Before P et al get miffed there are other toilet roll manufacturers!!

Chons da

Probably works at the SHARD!!
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::ot::ot::ot::calmdown::calmdown::calmdown:

Made to austerity wartime "ministry" standard ... only HEOs and above were allowed to wipe their bottoms with soft toilet paper..... us great unwashed had to use the thin glossy on one side product... I seem to remember it had the Ministry of Works logo on it to prevent theft!!!
Sorry
Ah the good old 'slide and glide' paper, there was still some kicking around in the 1980's - I remember it in RAF Locking (well. civilisation hadn't quite arrived there to be fair) and yes, it had the duck's food stamped on every sheet.

Ah the good old 'slide and glide' paper, there was still some kicking around in the 1980's - I remember it in RAF Locking (well. civilisation hadn't quite arrived there to be fair) and yes, it had the duck's food stamped on every sheet.
Izal .... I think my mum was still using up stocks well into the 1970's ... goodness only knows why ... ghastly stuff ... but there again, it was Yorkshire and they were not renowned for keeping up with the softies downj South ...

My dad was a moulder and money was tight. the company he worked for had connections with Izal for some reason and he could get it cheap. That and carbolic soap. Hated them both but now fond memories

My dad was a moulder and money was tight. the company he worked for had connections with Izal for some reason and he could get it cheap. That and carbolic soap. Hated them both but now fond memories

My microbiology colleague in the local Public Health Laboratory told me (mid to late 70s) that she noticed a marked reduction in bacterial diarrhoeal illnesses diagnosed in her lab after Izal disappeared from the nation's WCs.

Oh my ... I can still smell it ... Sunlight Carbolic soap in long yellow blocks and Lifebuoy was red ...although, in fairness, we had Wrights Coal Tar soap for bath night (once a week whether i needed it or not - twice if I fell in the canal). I can still smell the coal tar soap as well if I close my eyes ... eventually Mum started using Palmolive soap - and would not have any other brand for the rest of her days ...

A bar of coal tar soap.. the oval clear one... and a tin bath of hot water in front of a roaring fire in the scullery, Dick Tracy on BBC World Service.... and a cup of hot cocoa.... we knew how to have fun in those days!

Chons da

We had carbolic soap in the school washrooms at primary school (1970's) ours was green. I used to like the coal tar soap we had in the late seventies and eighties though

A bar of coal tar soap.. the oval clear one... and a tin bath of hot water in front of a roaring fire in the scullery, Dick Tracy on BBC World Service.... and a cup of hot cocoa.... we knew how to have fun in those days!

Chons da
Yep... that was the life ... we graduated to a bathroom upstairs thanks to Grandad who was a builder putting one in after splitting the back bedroom ... no central heating and the bathroom was always freezing... no toilet in it though - just a bath, washbasin and a gas geyser to heat the water. The room was always freezing ... the toilet was outside off the washroom (there was a copper coal fired boiler in the corner for wash days). On cold winter nights dad would put a candle in a jar under the cast iron high level toilet cistern to stop it from freezing.

Mind you... in Yorkshire in the 50's and 60's we had winters where the frost was in frost patterns inside the windows and lino on the floor in the bedrooms once you stepped off the bedside rug .... On really cold nights Dad would bring a shovel full of glowing coals to put in the fireplace in my bedroom ... it really did have to be VERY cold though.

I have no idea how we managed ... must have been a healthy life my mum lived to be 99 years old.

LOL ... what soap ? Bathroom or toilet paper ?

This thread has wandered off a little ... very entertaining though .. but my jars are on the way to me and now we've wandered through various aspects of personal hygiene and microbiology and goodness only knows where it will go next ... I just love this forum ... better than the TV !

Zinc bath in the kitchen, in front of the old range. Big Belfast sink in the yard with a single, cold tap. Toilet was a climb up a load of stone steps to a small, stone building, (take a bucket of water with you) wire hook with squares of newspaper. Learnt how to scrunch the paper at an early age. ;)

Zinc bath in the kitchen, in front of the old range. Big Belfast sink in the yard with a single, cold tap. Toilet was a climb up a load of stone steps to a small, stone building, (take a bucket of water with you) wire hook with squares of newspaper. Learnt how to scrunch the paper at an early age. ;)
Thinking of starting a new thread - a poll- are you a scruncher or a folder?

Latest posts

Back