Honey Jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
What do you guys use to clean or sterilise the jars before you fill with honey ?

As i had some Milton tablets left from cleaning the extractor, i used those, asuming of course if they can be used for baby bottles, they will be safe for foodstuff containers.

If you are using new jars, they won't need anything unless they have been badly stored and got dirty inside.

If you are using second hand jars (which you shouldn't be if you are planning on selling*) Then washing out and rinsing in hot water and upside down to drain till dry will be sufficient. But Milton will do the job as well, glass being a fairly uncontaminable material it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Frisbee

* added - technically speaking if you were planning on selling, using second hand jars is not as frowned upon as using second hand lids

I use baby sterilising tablets.
Cheap.
I always sterilise my new Jars and lids before using.

I dont sell any honey, and use second hand jars, just washed out in the dish washer and use regular dishwasher tablets.The jars have always been fine with no problems of soap after taste or smell in the honey.

Latest posts

Back