Honey Jar Sterilisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presumably you use Type II glass jars, hence the bloom which comes from a sulphur coating that is used to anneal the glass. Honey being acidic will over time react with the alkali in Type III glass. The coating applied to Type II glass helps prevent this reaction but does require a wash to get rid of the bloom. Some manufacturers will do this as part of their process which makes their jars slightly more expensive but removes the pfaff.
Microwave them 2 secs done

I'm not sure you need sterile jars for honey just clean ones (Dishwasher clean?). The osmotic properties of honey plus the presence of the natural enzyme peroxidase in honey should be enough to prevent the growth of unwanted micro-organisms.

Precisely. No harm in wiping ones backside but why risk tearing the skin?

I always use new jars when selling. I never wash them, I always visually check them. I think I would add more germs by washing and drying. I only use my second hand jars for me. I never take jars back in case they have used them for other purposes. If they get left on my doorstep I recycle them in the glass bin
E

I did likewise for a long time - until I saw a spider swimming in a brand new jar of honey I had been hoping to sell. Have to be very careful as the little beggars get everywhere. I have a Food Hygiene certificate by the way.

Are you feeling ok Arfermo?
I’m a bit concerned about your sudden rash of combative posts 😉

Actually not too good. Sole carer for my wife with alzheimers and with roof leaking inside and out in recent storms I suspect I have just been ripped off for roof repairs for £1,400 by a rogue trader. Being seriously geriatric am utterly vulnerable. Hope I am not too provocative but I do find some of the thoughts and advice on here a bit unusual in many respects. Try to include a little humorous asides when I can.

Actually not too good. Sole carer for my wife with alzheimers and with roof leaking inside and out in recent storms I suspect I have just been ripped off for roof repairs for £1,400 by a rogue trader. Being seriously geriatric am utterly vulnerable. Hope I am not too provocative but I do find some of the thoughts and advice on here a bit unusual in many respects. Try to include a little humorous asides when I can.
That's quite dreadful. So many services have been left behind by the governments manic and not carefully enough thought out response to Covid-19. I know two people who have had their chemotherapy curtailed or cancelled, their radiotherapy shortened, while their oncologists are complaining they are left idle, and are now dealing with a terminal diagnosis. I hope you get some help. It's a sad world when the vulnerable are ignored

That's quite dreadful. So many services have been left behind by the governments manic and not carefully enough thought out response to Covid-19. I know two people who have had their chemotherapy curtailed or cancelled, their radiotherapy shortened, while their oncologists are complaining they are left idle, and are now dealing with a terminal diagnosis. I hope you get some help. It's a sad world when the vulnerable are ignored

The lock-down has been awful. Cancer patients worst hit by far. Managed to go shopping every two weeks or so on my own but wife didn't go out for months. M&S ready meals are great! Out in the sticks with nobody to talk to either quite stressful - which is why I like viewing this website. All social contacting disappeared - AgeUK, U3A, no Blue Badge, etc - and I wasn't even able to get my hair cut until it was over my shoulders (yes I have a very dense full head of hair even at my age as well all my original full set of teeth, albeit with some metal in). Eventually managed to get to my hairdressing girls and paid them double their increased price (20 quid) to compensate for clearing up my discarded thatch. Quite chilly for a while.:) Excuse the bald smiley!! It ain't anything like me.

Without being prejudiced, partisan or in favour of a particular political group - that is how the UK has been for many years and continues to be. I spent around 30 years in the care sector - its always been starved of talent and funds and was even more so under tory governments despite the usual pledges. The vulnerable have no financial clout and therefore no voice that is paid attention to. Change starts with me or you.

Latest posts

Back