Honey Jar Sterilisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixflyer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm interested to know what process is used to sterilise jars for the mid size organisations. I get that you can boil jars in a pan or put them on a shelf in the oven but what about those with hundreds of jars each harvest?

I would imagine the people doing thousands of jars have expensive commercial equipment or get someone else to bottle the honey. Also those with maybe 100 jars probably do it in the oven but what about the people in between that are not doing it in their kitchen?

If you have around 50 hives and supply local shops etc. What is the sterilisation process and how do you do it?

I'm not sure you need sterile jars for honey just clean ones (Dishwasher clean?). The osmotic properties of honey plus the presence of the natural enzyme peroxidase in honey should be enough to prevent the growth of unwanted micro-organisms.

OK, Is that a case of not needing it in general or not needing in terms of selling with regards to food standards though?

I had an EHO inspection earlier this year for honey production and they were content with either new jars straight from the box or dishwasher cleaned re-used jars ( with new lids) so long as there was a visual inspection for damage or foreign objects.
I think most commercial operators of the size you stated use new straight from the box. Afaik larger bottling lines eg Rowse use an air blast to clean jars of any debris.

I will be, just trying to get a heads up first.

I'm going to be expanding over the next few years and will be looking at turning what, to now, has been a hobby into a small venture. I just moved into an office on the farm and looking at my options as I don't have an oven or dishwasher, just a sink.

Going to organise an inspection but would like to have a plan in place first.

Good luck with your operation. If you get a better picture on the legal aspect after working with the food hygiene guys.

Surely you should be asking your local food standards agency these questions?

Don't they often not know themselves? Just looking at old threads on here about reusing jars shows individual councils giving conflicting advice.

I always use new jars when selling. I never wash them, I always visually check them. I think I would add more germs by washing and drying. I only use my second hand jars for me. I never take jars back in case they have used them for other purposes. If they get left on my doorstep I recycle them in the glass bin
E

My supplier told me that only full pallets came sterilised and suitable for immediate use. As the smaller batches are taken from the full pallets they advised to sterilise.

I would try to hire a commercial dishwasher in a local restaurant for a night e.t.c.

Negotiation should not be difficult nowadays...

Jars removed from packaging visually checking as you go for damage, inverted onto a surface prior to filling so any debris can fall out - although very rarely is any to be found.

My supplier told me that only full pallets came sterilised and suitable for immediate use. As the smaller batches are taken from the full pallets they advised to sterilise.

I would consider that arse covering from the jar supplier - it removes liability if you get issues down the line because they said to sterilise. Pretty sure that will be a stock answer from most suppliers of food packaging.

Personally, I dishwasher clean my new jars as I have found straight out he box they are a bit dull and dusty - nothing to do wither sterilising them though.

As a hobby beekeeper , wash, dry and then place in over at 100C for 15 minutes, then place on metal tray to cool..

As for the jars......

As a hobby beekeeper , wash, dry and then place in over at 100C for 15 minutes, then place on metal tray to cool..

As for the jars......

50 colonies is a bit more than a hobby?

Buy a commercial dishwasher.... you will probably secure one soon at a bankruptcy sale for a knockdown price... someone has to win out of this Covidiot HMG enforced financial disaster!

Then you will have to find somewhere to sell your honey.

Chons da

I stick the jars and lids on a newly foil lined wire tray in a the oven at 140C fan for 10 minutes and allow the jars to cool naturally in the oven before filling.

I stick the jars and lids on a newly foil lined wire tray in a the oven at 140C fan for 10 minutes and allow the jars to cool naturally in the oven before filling.
Also I buy new jars and lids from Thornes (never reused ones), I inspect visually for debris, spider webs etc before they go into the oven.

I've spent the morning rinsing my jars and drying them in the oven - 10 minutes at 160 degrees fan. The lids spent a few minutes in a saucepan of boiling water and were hand-dried. It's probably the most boring part of beekeeping, but I do it every year.
I have thought about putting them in the dishwasher, but it holds too few jars, and would need several loads If you have 200 - 300 lbs of honey to jar up.
Perhaps next year I'll just trust the cleanliness of the factory.

Latest posts

Back