Honey jar labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalkie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
I'm going to be selling some honey this year and looking for ideas as to what to put on the labels, also what are the legal requirements for the size of print/info and size of labels.
What have you got on your, pictures would be good.

thanks

Having just had a visit from trading standards.

The jist of it is

If you are selling direct to the consumer all you legally have to have on the jar is the word honey and the weight, you dont need any contact name or address, but you have to weigh the honey on a trade approved scales. You dont have to own the scales (you could borrow from someone else). If you are selling to a shop who will then sell on to the consumer it gets more difficult. I decided against doing this as it gets too complicated.

The other thing as well is if you have a picture of a certain flower on the label, then the honey must have come from this flower. So its easier to stay away from flower pictures on your labels.

Having just had a visit from trading standards.

The jist of it is

If you are selling direct to the consumer all you legally have to have on the jar is the word honey and the weight, you dont need any contact name or address, but you have to weigh the honey on a trade approved scales. You dont have to own the scales (you could borrow from someone else). If you are selling to a shop who will then sell on to the consumer it gets more difficult. I decided against doing this as it gets too complicated.

The other thing as well is if you have a picture of a certain flower on the label, then the honey must have come from this flower. So its easier to stay away from flower pictures on your labels.

Thanks, a local health food shop has offered to take whatever i can supply and name my price but clueless as to what should be on the label.

Pop this into the Google search bar::
bbka selling honey b10
It spells out the regulations for you. They are also published elsewhere, but I don't have the details off the top of my head.
Alternatively, you could go here.

Last edited:
Pop this into the Google search bar::
bbka selling honey b10
It spells out the regulations for you. They are also published elsewhere, but I don't have the details off the top of my head.

Thanks, thats the type of info i needed, also would be good to see what others have put on there labels.

except that site says

"18.6 What weight should jars of honey be?
Honey may only be packed in certain metric quantities. These are as follows:
57g, 113g, 227g, 340g, 454g, 680g, or a multiple of 454g."

Which was the case in the UK until earlier this year. Now you can sell in any size packaging.

M100, you are correct. Thank you for pointing it out for the OP though. I did think about it, but confess to hoping that the issue was covered in the non BBKA link. :)

Also if you are going to supply a shop you will have to register as a food producer with the environmental health lot.

I had a phonecall from trading standards today telling me that my labels are more than up to standard for direct selling.:cheers2:

Also if you are going to supply a shop you will have to register as a food producer with the environmental health lot.

I had a phonecall from trading standards today telling me that my labels are more than up to standard for direct selling.:cheers2:

Hi veg, are you sure of the above as according to this info taken from the bba advisory leaflet it states:
Food hygiene.
'Registration of premises does not apply to the direct supply by the producer of
small quantities of primary products to the final consumer or to local retail
establishments directly supplying the final consumer.

thanks

If in doubt give them a call and explain how you are going to sell it. Trading standards will now issue me a letter stating that all is ok with the way I am doing it.
As I said there a different rules for different ways of selling. :cheers2:

Last edited:
They lie too. "Purveyors of the finest honeys in the kingdom"

Utter rubbish as I do not sell to them so...... LOL

PH

Back