Honey in old brood comb not being capped

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone else noticed that if you use a super frame that has had brood in in the past that the bees don't seem to cap the cells that have honey in where the brood has been? Noticed it time and time again!
E

Has anyone else noticed that if you use a super frame that has had brood in in the past that the bees don't seem to cap the cells that have honey in where the brood has been? Noticed it time and time again!
E
No I haven’t

They certainly do seem to cap the honey in brood cells later than those in the arc above.

E
Every comb become old sooner or later, and no one change combs in natural hive. Old combs are used as honey stores and they will be capped

Bees love brown combs and they fill then first. They like to lay eggs too in dark combs.

Last edited:
They certainly do seem to cap the honey in brood cells later than those in the arc above.

Yes bees have such order. Capped honey topmost. Then nectar ripening (in emerged brood cells and then brood. Lowest are pollen stores.

Brooding starts topmost in spring and comes down. Honey store are made from top to down.

When the hive is full, bees will swarm. They have nothing to do in the full hive.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will get a photo next time I see one.

Thanks, I will get a photo next time I see one.

What do you do with photo?

It is very usual, that bees fill combs with nectar. Then brood emerges and bees fill those cells with nectar again. One day the nectar is rippen honey, and it will be capped.

Move the brood combs upwards and they will be capped sooner.

Actually, what is the idea of your writing?

It has probably been asked before but.... is there any problem/thoughts on extracting honey from previously used brood frames? For example Demareee top BBox that has been backfilled with nectar/honey ?

It has probably been asked before but.... is there any problem/thoughts on extracting honey from previously used brood frames? For example Demareee top BBox that has been backfilled with nectar/honey ?

If there is such problem, it is self made thing.
So called between ears.

No problem at all, I usually extract a few hundred of them every year.

What do you do with photo?

It is very usual, that bees fill combs with nectar. Then brood emerges and bees fill those cells with nectar again. One day the nectar is rippen honey, and it will be capped.

Move the brood combs upwards and they will be capped sooner.

Actually, what is the idea of your writing?
I don't think you understand. I will try and make it simple English for you Finman.
I have a shallow frame that in the past has been used for brood. T is now used solely for stores above a queen excluder.
The cells in that frame that used to have brood in in the past now contain honey along with all the other cells but I have noticed that the bees seem disinclined to cap those cells. It was merely something I noted and wondered if others had too, but apparently not. No problem, just a query. That was my reason for starting the thread. Feel free to ignore it if you wish😳

The Warre hives we have (and the whole method of honey production that was proposed by Warre which has been used for a little while now ;) :D) would seem to suggest that there is no problem with either bees using brood comb for honey, or extracting honey from these combs. :)

The Warre hives we have (and the whole method of honey production that was proposed by Warre which has been used for a little while now ;) :D) would seem to suggest that there is no problem with either bees using brood comb for honey, or extracting honey from these combs. :)
Or indeed crushing and straining

I don't think you understand. I will try and make it simple English for you Finman.
I have a shallow frame that in the past has been used for brood. ish😳

I have used 60 years all my combs for boath brood and honey. I do not use excluders.

You have one shallow frame what bees do not cap. The frame is under spell.

Make it simple to bees and cast away that damn frame.

You are right, I do not understand. Magic.

Last edited:
I didn't think there was a problem! Just commenting that they didn't seem as keen to cap honey in ex brood cells but noted your comments

Latest posts

Back