Honey Harvest???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I haven't got much written info on what's involved with processing the honey so can some of you guy's give me some advice please? What is exactly involved, step by step? I presume after removal of the supers comes un-capping, followed by spinning. What next does it need to be strained and what mesh size should I use? Also should it be tested for anything ie water content, viscosity? Is the strained honey then left in a large tank to settle? What is settling, bubbles?? Is it then finally bottled and does all equipment need to be sterilised before use?

have a look here http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1624&highlight=honey+bottling

One thing i used to uncap the frames is a paint stripper heat gun, saved a lot of messing with cappings (unless you want them).
Settling in a tank just allows all the air bubbles and any other bits of wax etc to rise to the top. If the honey is capped then usually it doesnt need to be tested for water content.

Last edited:
I can help you on the testing front but whether it has relevence to process control is questionable. With a food science background I couldn't help myself and have a refractometer but as is often the case, the bees no best, they'll cap it when it's ready!

Trad standards will test a honey for sugar content, they'll test for sugars composition along with wider compositional composition to check it's not 'spiked'; they'll also spin out pollen and then check it at x400 to identify and confirm provenance e.g. heather honey is predominantly from heather, borage is borage etc.

Trading standards are not really too bothered from my own experience. Having recently been visited.

whydidthey visit?? hope it was not bad

If you register as a food producer they will visit as a matter of course, honey is a low risk product.........low risk as in it's highly unlikely to give anyone food poisoning, as such they will be more amenable to less than perfect premises and production areas.............

Frisbee

I asked them to come to make sure that my labels and the way i am going about it are right. They are there to help and were very good lots of information. It is better to contact them if you are selling honey rather than them coming to see you after they have found something they may not be happy with. It is free as well. :cheers2:

Trading standards are only concerned with the labeling, weights and measures side of things. It is your local council environmental health, that you should register with as a food producer. I rang them up they sent a form. Rang them up again they said it is low risk so they may not even visit.
Also you are supposed to register with enviro.. a month before you start selling

Last edited:
And if selling to the public- don't forget to put a 'best before' date on the jar:smilielol5:
Tempting to print - b.b. 3001- so stupid - honey is the only product that never goes 'off' - just crystallises

Well I used it and won a honey show with it so I recomend it. :cheers2:

A few others on here also use them thats where I got the idea. You must have overdone it with the heat gun.

Last edited:
And if selling to the public- don't forget to put a 'best before' date on the jar:smilielol5:
Tempting to print - b.b. 3001- so stupid - honey is the only product that never goes 'off' - just crystallises

Techically it does (legally) go off as HMF levels will increase with time....

yes, it is.
I used it when my electrict knife stopped working.

But I have heard that propane flame has been used to uncap frames.

Now I have 2 electrict knifes. i change the knife when it became cool.

Last edited:
It is melted wax which give the extra aroma into the honey.
Same happens with too hot uncapping knife.

LOL I spoke too soon got a visit next week (me an my big mouth):cheers2:

Latest posts

Back