• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

honey grading glasses wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtony

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
I am looking to source a set of honey grading glasses (they are not manufactured anymore) and would appreciate a PM if you have or know of a set for sale. cheers!

I still don't know what they are! Give us a clue!
-------
Ignore that, just googled it. For others it is pieces of coloured glass to show what colours are light medium and dark for showing......I think!

Last edited:
Thanks pargyle, I was editing as you were posting!
E

Just little (squares?) of glass in different tones of brown.

If honey is lighter than this one, its "Light Honey". If its darker than that one, its "Dark Honey".
Terribly important for entering your pride and joy in the correct class at the show ... :sigh:

Seemingly no longer made, so scarce, sought after and absurdly expensive.

/cross-posted but left as I think I got the explanation of use more clearly expressed.

Last edited:
Saw some last year - before I knew what they were - £250...:eek:
The number that must have been thrown out by relatives who didn't know what they were.

Surely with modern colour reproduction it can't be that difficult to reproduce a few sets? There's the difficulty of being consistent with old standard glasses, but I'd be surprised if the old models were as consistent as you could make them today given that spectrum measurement was a lot harder 50 or more years ago.

Transmission colour densitometry.
Is that too hard for a phone camera app?

Surely with modern colour reproduction it can't be that difficult to reproduce a few sets? There's the difficulty of being consistent with old standard glasses, but I'd be surprised if the old models were as consistent as you could make them today given that spectrum measurement was a lot harder 50 or more years ago.
Apparently Thrones looked at commissioning a load a few years back but I heard that the cost was astronomical and you had to order a 40ft container load!

A long time ago, in another life, I would light a stage with many colours. http://leefilters.com/lighting/colour-list.html This is but one of the companies who supply the theatre world and all of them do glass filters. If someone somewhere does have an original set of grading glasses there must be something here that is very close to them.

My favourite was 'Surprise Peach'.

Mike.

Well I'm not bidding on them but the cat's out of the bag and they are £31.20 with five days to go....looks like they will make big bucks ..

:svengo:Do you guys know how rude it is to whisper in public ?

Particularly when the conversation other people are hearing doesn't make a lot of sense ! It was bad enough having to contend with Finnish ...

Latest posts

Back